Neon tetra loosing color.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soul-Man22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I've had this neon for about 6 months and within the last 2 weeks he has been loosing a lot of his color, it's like a white band that goes over the middle of his body, he's getting thin and I'm worried about him, I have done some research and think it neon tetra disease but I would like your guys opinions, thanks!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398717745.922467.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398717866.606696.jpg sorry the pics are not that clear I will try to get some better ones

Thanks for the reply! He looks thinner than the others but as far as I can tell he is still eating, and he is still swimming with the others.

I can't qt I don't have an open tank, but in believe it is neon tetra disease after reading that article, what can I do to prevent it from spreading an killing all my other fish?

Remove the fish, it will die and you do not want any other fish in the tank having a nibble once it does..

Ok I'm going to euthanize him, will this affect any of my other fish since they won't be able to eat him after he dies?

Hard to say, I've been losing neons and cardnals for months, one drops, a week later another is afflicted.. They're just a tricky breed... Keep an eye out and cull ASAP...

Ok I just euthanized him :( even though he was a small little fish it was still pretty hard to put him down:( but on the bright side everyone else is looking healthy and hopefully will stay that way for a while(knocking on wood), thanks for the help guys.

The only definitive information I can provide.. Look out for "runts", all the neons that have remained small while the others have grown have all fallen I'll with some form of white growth or cotton growth..

Ok thank you for all the information! He was by far the smallest, I will definitely look out for that when buying new neons. All the others are a lot larger and all appear healthy and happy. Thanks again!

I started with 5 neons and 4 cardnals, I now have 2 hugeeeeee neons and one med size cardinal... I'm going to restock this week actually with some wild caught cardinals, I'm going to politely ask for the net at my Lfs and proceed to pick all med sized fish and hopefully have them survive more than 2 months...

Ok I just euthanized him :( even though he was a small little fish it was still pretty hard to put him down:( but on the bright side everyone else is looking healthy and hopefully will stay that way for a while(knocking on wood), thanks for the help guys.

Good luck with the rest. Out of interest what is your ph and kh/gh if you have it normally?

I started with 5 neons and 4 cardnals, I now have 2 hugeeeeee neons and one med size cardinal... I'm going to restock this week actually with some wild caught cardinals, I'm going to politely ask for the net at my Lfs and proceed to pick all med sized fish and hopefully have them survive more than 2 months...

Hi Brookster, of the 10 cardinals I bought I have 6 left (plus 1 remaining from old school). They were $9 each to get a larger size making them rather expensive for such a small fish.

My kh is 80, gh maybe 140 and ph 7.3 and I don't know if it is these water specs, TDS, water flow or various family members singing off key but I've decided if these go then that will be it. Nitrates I've actually gotten down to about 10 to 20 but I don't think they quite like the water specs somewhere.

Ello dela! It seems people with varying parameters have the sane results in the outcome if their neons and cardinals.. Perhaps poor stock or diseases spread by the large numbers kept in the displays at Lfs??? Mine has anywhere from 100-200 in each tank.. That has to increase the odds of getting a sick fish???

Wow, I reckon. I was talking with the lfs and they said they get them in batches ongoing as well. So could be they sell half and then get more to fill tank and one is off. So extra chances of getting sick one and I've never cured one once sick. :(

Mind you the singing at our place is pretty bad. It penetrates brick walls and I'm pretty sure sounds is worse or travels further under water.

My neon has this disease too. How it best to put it down? I think 2 out of 5 are infected :(

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom