Nerite snails and black sand.. death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imtheriot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I bought two nerite snails and they moved for half a day then didnt move. I have black sand. Could they choke on the sand?

Why would they just die?

and yes, it's been two days and they havent moved. they are dead.

I don't believe the color of your sand had anything to do with it. Where did you get the snails from and how did you acclimate them?

I didnt say it was the colour. I said it was black sand. That's what I have.

I let the bag sit in the water for 20 minutes, then gradually dipped the bag into the water to mix my water with the bag's water.

The snails were crawling on the sand and then just stopped moving.

I know with my mystery snails they will close down and stop moving for days at a time. They are in a tank with black sand as well. Is the "foot" of your snails hanging open? That's usually a bad sign. If it's closed tight they could just be resting.

smell them. thats about the best way to tell unless you want to wait until they either move or it becomes an empty shell. the sand would not cause them to choke (they cant choke) , i have snails in my 10g with black tahitian moon sand and they're all just fine.

thanks, the one has its door closed tight, the other smelled and its door 'fell off'? if that is possible?

Thanks for the replies.

The one that "smelled" and has the fallen off door sounds dead to me. Was it a strong, rotting smell? If so, then yep, sorry for your loss. The other one, with the door shut tight is a normal thing. When a snail dies, obviously so does the muscle that controls the door, and it flops open. If it is held in tight, that means the lil guy is still alive.

Back
Top Bottom