Never used air pump/sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone, I have a 160 gph eheim can filter for my 60g African tank and am looking to get a sponge filter that can moved to a 20g qt tank when needed.

Never used an air pump or sponge filter before. My canister it's totally quiet so I was curious how much noise it is going to make? Also, I'm guessing it is going to put out air bubbles from the sponge?

I was thinking either Hydrofarm 15 lpm or tetra whisper 150g - extra filtration for the 60g and can turn down when used in the 20g? Are these going to be too much for a 20? Any experience with these brands?

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Doing a little more research during lunch, and sounds like maybe I should use a powerhead instead of an air pump. My Eheim 2217 keeps the water super clear and clean, great bio filtration, but I can tell that it doesn't have the flow to keep the tank bottom clean and my fish are still small, don't want to think what it will look like when they get bigger.

Thinking of adding a 150-160 gph powerhead with sponge filter at the bottom of the tank to help with mechanical filtration. I wouldn't use the air intake as my canister outflow is pointed upward to aerate the water.

Sponge: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056XVF82/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A7SIQ2Y2T11UM

Filter: 158 gph Amazon.com : Super Aqua Power Head Pump 158GPH : Aquarium Water Pumps : Pet Supplies

Filter: 317gph too much for 60g? Only a dollar more - Amazon.com : Super Aqua Power Head Pump 317gph, 22w : Aquarium Water Pumps : Pet Supplies

Sponge filters are great for biological filtration but junk when it comes to mechanical filtration. If you're looking for mechanical more than biological I would take a look at different options.

What is best for mechanical filtration? I have the canister, just need to get the detritus off the substrate and towards the intake. Maybe just the power head then.

What is best for mechanical filtration? I have the canister, just need to get the detritus off the substrate and towards the intake. Maybe just the power head then.

That would probably be enough. With some creative placement of decorations and enough flow the detritus should be kept in the water column to be taken in by the canister.

Back
Top Bottom