New 10 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agentamalia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I started a new 10 gal tank today and I bought the jungle start up kit that has start right, start zone, and correct pH. It says to test in 3 weeks to make sure my pH is good. Anything else I should do right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Buy a liquid test kit and test your tap water as well. Look for nano fish that are suitable for that small of a tank. If you have a tank running already you can skip all the junk additives, add your new filter to your existing tank, and in two weeks it will be seeded and ready for fish.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Hey amalia glad to see you started a new thread! Listen to tree he knows his stuff :p see if your LFS can give you a seeded filter pad or some media to help your tank cycle faster. Also like tree said, please get a liquid test kit. Testing your water is essential especially during the cycling process.

Any more questions just ask :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok I just tested my water my ph is 7.8 my nitrite is 0 my nitrate is 0 my alkalinity is 180 and my hardiness is 75. What do I need to change lol?

Okay. Your tank isn't cycled. Let's review some options you can do.

1. The best and fastest way to cycle a tank really quick is taking filter media or a pad from an established tank and putting it in your filter. This ensures you have a starting colony of bacteria that will grow and make your cycle go much quicker. Sorta like a jump start to the system. See if your LFS will sell/give you any active pads or media. Mine gave me a bag of active media for $5.

2. Decide if you want to do Fish-In or Fishless cycling. I prefer Fishless but it's really a matter of opinion.

3. Did you read the articles I sent you the link for? Those are some of the best info we can provide as to how to get set up and started the right way so you can succeed ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea I'm not planning to get fish anytime soon I don't want them to die lol

Yea I didn't put that in just the start right and start zyme

The pH was good in just my plain tap water so I didn't use it

Back
Top Bottom