New 10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessie1987

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 10 gallon tank and I was thinking of getting a betta male or female and I'm wondering what other fish can go with a betta and I'm wondering if I can put a Valvet Wag Swordtail in the tank too.

Please list Names and how many I can have?

Hi and welcome! It depends on the Betta. A swordtail gets too large for a 10 gal IMO. You could try some shrimp or some nano fish like ember tetra, celestial pearl danio or chili rasbora. How are you planning to cycle the tank? If you dont' know or aren't sure what cycling is, read the link in my signature below called Guide to starting a FW aquarium.

I keep african dwarf frogs with my female betta. They get along great and there is a ton of character in that tank.

Bloodfins would be ok, but any of the dwarves that LibraryGirl said would be great! I love my ember tetras and my chili rasboras, they're both with betas and they all get along. Dwarf or pygmy cores would be good. Endlers, there are tons of nanos out there that would be great!
Look at this link: Nano-Fish

does bloodfins and other tetras need live plants or will my decorative plants be ok and are mollies ok as well.

jessie1987 said:
does bloodfins and other tetras need live plants or will my decorative plants be ok and are mollies ok as well.

They don't need live plants but they sure would like them:). It really doesn't matter if you want to plant the tank or not.

jessie1987 said:
Is it bad to but a male betta with neon tetras

It's a hit and miss, in some fish stores, betas are kept with other fish, look for one calmer or in with similar sized fish I had to take mine back :)

Back
Top Bottom