New 10gallon Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClinicalVibez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 10 gallon setup. I was having issues with ammonia and nitrates. I got ammonia reducer tablets along with pH reducer tablets. The water has cleared 75 percent better than it was 30 minutes ago when I put those in and the fish seem a lot happier and not swimming on the top. . I'm under the impression my tank did not completely go through the setup cycle therefore I am having issues with ammonia and nitrate levels. Since this is my first tank and I'm looking to upgrade to a 50 gallon within the next 6 months I'm looking for advice on how to continually maintain all these levels and keep a happy tank and my fish alive.

Specifications of the tank
10 gallon tank
50 watt in tank heater
20 gallon filtration system
Upgraded air stone in volcano

ForumRunner_20130828_000103.jpg

1 live grass plant

Fish in tank
3-molly
3-african dwarf frog
4-ghost shrimp
1- albino rainbow shark
1- rainbow shark
2- algae eaters

I am going to go out on a limb and say your stocking level is the main cause of your ammonia / nitrate issues. This tank is SERIOUSLY overstocked with fish that are waaaaaay too big for it.

I went and punched in your stocking list in AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and came back with your tank being at 320% its recommended stocking level.

Mollys are fairly big fish and should be housed in at least a 30g aquarium.

The rainbow sharks need a 50 gallon aquarium and they can't be housed together or they will kill each other.

The algae eaters you bought which I am assuming are chinese algae eaters need at least a 30 gallon tank and grow up to be aggressive bastards.

As for controlling your ammonia and nitrate levels; by far the best way to decrease them is by doing a 50% water change. This should be done at minimum every week. I would skip adding any chemicals to the aquarium to control the ammonia issue.

Also, unless your pH is way out of range at 6.5 or below I would skip trying to change it. Fish can adapt to differences in pH but they definitely need a stable level or it can kill them.

By far the best way to keep everything alive and happy is to do a lot of research before adding any type of fish. I would like to add that coming here and posting is another good step in the right direction :)

I am going to go out on a limb and say your stocking level is the main cause of your ammonia / nitrate issues. This tank is SERIOUSLY overstocked with fish that are waaaaaay too big for it.

I went and punched in your stocking list in AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and came back with your tank being at 320% its recommended stocking level.

Mollys are fairly big fish and should be housed in at least a 30g aquarium.

The rainbow sharks need a 50 gallon aquarium and they can't be housed together or they will kill each other.

The algae eaters you bought which I am assuming are chinese algae eaters need at least a 30 gallon tank and grow up to be aggressive bastards.

As for controlling your ammonia and nitrate levels; by far the best way to decrease them is by doing a 50% water change. This should be done at minimum every week. I would skip adding any chemicals to the aquarium to control the ammonia issue.

Also, unless your pH is way out of range at 6.5 or below I would skip trying to change it. Fish can adapt to differences in pH but they definitely need a stable level or it can kill them.

By far the best way to keep everything alive and happy is to do a lot of research before adding any type of fish. I would like to add that coming here and posting is another good step in the right direction :)

That looks like the stock on a 100g tank I am assuming that the algae eaters are plecos? Test your parameters daily. with that stock don't be surprised if you have to do water changes every single day.
Rainbow sharks need a 50g tank
Mollies need a 30g
Plecos need 70g
If your fish are gasping at the top they are already experiencing stress and damage from the ammo lvls. I would either get a new tank ASAP or try rehoming most of the fish.

Hi ClinicalVibez!

A great place to start would be checking out these useful links: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

You'll want to get your water parameters safe so your fish aren't being harmed and those links will explain what to do and why you're doing it. You'll definitely need to blow up your stock and probably start from scratch too but thankfully there are a ton of more appropriate options we can help suggest when the time comes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom