New 125 gallon tank! Bought today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KidFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, this is the third time i am posting this, for some reason i keep losing my post, i'm getting pretty rash about it... Hopefully i can get it this time!:banghead:

Well today i was browsing craigslist when i found a 125 gallon fish tank with a stand for $75!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205883&stc=1&d=1383523850

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205884&stc=1&d=1383523850

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205885&stc=1&d=1383523850

So yeah I'm pretty pumped, Currently I have a 40gallon breeder tank which I've had for quite the time now!

But this 125 gallon is just a whole new light! its ridiculously 6 feet long! 2 feet tall and 18inches wide! But i love it:cool:

Anyways my questions are this;
My tank is sectioned off on the top (see pictures) into three separate parts, each one being 22 inches or so long and a little less then 16 1/2 inches. Where can i find some tops for this mammoth?
What in gods name is the middle column? i have never seen one of those before, the guy mentioned something about an overflow filter, which it looks like but why in the middle of the tank...?
There is also a hole in the middle of the tank leading down into the stand, it has a pipe attached to it that looks like a filter may attach to? outer with 2 1/4 in width about 2 inches, what kindof filter system is that for? maybe its for draining?
What should i do about lights? (I have a turtle whom need some UVB biz, but i have a separate heating lamp for him)
I'm really thinking about re-sealing because it looks like an older aquarium, is this a wise choice?

What would you do with a tank like this?:cool:

All help is appreciated so much, i have searched else where but i cant find the answers:(

Thank you all! let me know if i can help in any way!!:thanks:
KidFish

I am zero help. Totally jealous of your find. My only consolation is I do not have room for a six foot tank. Mostly wanting to follow along to see the progress!

Do you know if the tank was freshwater? I keep trying to imagine what that middle column could be used for. Does the tank have any manufacturers information? It might be interesting to do some research on it.

Sounds like you have a setup they would overflow and run to a sump ? Maybe ?

Yes it is an overflow,from the looks of the tank it was used for saltwater when previously setup...its gonna take alot of elbow grease to clean it up if you plan using it for freshwater but can most certainly be accomplished...the overflow would then run through a sump where water is filtered & returned by a submersible pump to the aquarium...

Last edited:
I don't see the returns(usually several on such a large tank) in the pics...may've been a hang-on back return system was used...

its called a central overflow sump, You can use it to make a whirlpool effect in a saltwater aquarium. I dont know what its for but I asked a local fish shop guy and this is what he said. Regardless, I took it out..... Haha its a big ugly column in the center of my tank of course i'm gonna take it out, as for the giant hole in the bottom of my aqaurium, I have no idea what to do with. I thought about making an intake out of PVC to put under the substrate and then have it in one of the corners or something.

Back
Top Bottom