new 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
What should I put in my 40 gallon tank? Would like some kind of cichlid a colorful one not a dwarf. Going to be a simple tank just some gravel or sand a sponge filter and a 300watt fluval heater. I have rocks I can put in to make a cave if needed. Would like to have a cool pair that will bread. Any ideas? Opps put 29 in the title but ment 40

I like firemouths, JD, Gold Sexfasciatus Cichlid, and I like peacocks. But I'm sure there are more I don't know about. Lmk what you think the tank will be under stocked only looming to put a pair or 2 pair in the tank depending on the size of fish.

I like firemouths, JD, Gold Sexfasciatus Cichlid, and I like peacocks. But I'm sure there are more I don't know about. Lmk what you think the tank will be under stocked only looming to put a pair or 2 pair in the tank depending on the size of fish.
All of those fish need at least a 4' tank, though you might get by with a pair of firemouths. A catfish (or several) to eat fry would also be a good idea, firemouths bred constantly and a 40 will quickly become overcrowded with growing fry.

All of those fish need at least a 4' tank, though you might get by with a pair of firemouths. A catfish (or several) to eat fry would also be a good idea, firemouths bred constantly and a 40 will quickly become overcrowded with growing fry.
well I don't want anything to eat fry. I have a few fry tanks they will be put in then sold to others or given away.

Your call on that, but IME nobody wants or needs hundreds of any cichlid. Once a pair starts spawning they'll keep going for at least 5-6 rounds before taking a break, producing several hundred fry each time. I've grown out a single spawn of several species of SA or CA cichlids (nicaraguense, cutteri, and oblongums) and have never been able to move all of them properly. The first round was the nicaraguense many years ago, long before the internet. I had an agreement with the owner of an lfs, $1/each for 1.5-2" juvies and a pair of adults so the customers could see what they'd look like grown out. I counted out 123 juvies when I took them out of the growout tanks, and had figured $20 for the adult pair. I actually received $50 for all of them, take it or take them back home, and they had already outgrown my available tankspace. A couple months later most of them were still in a single tank at the lfs, badly stunted and horribly overcrowded.
More recently (around this time last year) I started growing out a spawn of cutteri and another of oblongums that occured within a week. The cutteri grow much faster, and since it was a good-size pair there were around 200 to start with. The Carapo knife couldn't keep up with them when I moved some juvies into his tank to thin their numbers. I sold some, gave some away, and finally ended up culling 80 young adults last February to open up a 55 for the slower-growing oblongums. Ironically, the oblongums were the ones I was growing out to breeding size, thinking to take a bunch to the ACA. I sold some juvies along the way, but lost all but 7 (including my big breeding pair) several months ago. No clue what it was, but it hit them hard and killed them within a week. I suspect an overdose of chloramine in the tap water.
I currently have 3 pairs of cutteri, 1 pair in a 40 breeder with the Carapo knife that eats all their fry while they're still quite small. The other 2 pairs are in a 90 with 6 Tanganykian catfish that serve the same purpose.

well that is true maybe ill grow out a spawn and then get a cat fish, or something I just really enjoy the idea of breeding cichlids. Maybe I could have a pair and something else that will feed on the young once I have enough then take him out again when im ready to sell some again? These sound like they breed alot faster then German Blue Rams or at least more sucessfully. The local cichlid supplier here told me he would be more then happy to take as many GBR and EBR as I can get him.

GBR's produce smaller spawns, are generally more difficult to raise, and it takes some time to grow them out to a decent size. I see posts about GBR's spawning fairly often, but most often the eggs or fry disappear soon after.
One reason I prefer African cichlids, less fry from each spawn to deal with, particularly with mouthbrooders. The 75 gallon tank with a group of eureka red peacocks and Synodontis multi's is great. Sometimes the holdong females spit out 15-20 fry, sometimes it's just 1 baby catfish. The adult catfish also pick off some of the small peacock fry, though not too many. Not a problem finding someone who wants a few catfish or a half-dozen peacock juvies IME.

Back
Top Bottom