New 29 Malawi Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaierBones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am working on starting a new Malawi tank and I am getting ready for my next round of fish because the cycling process is complete. I have some questions for some more experienced than I.

I have 3 Mbunas as of now
1 yellow lab
1 red top
1 blue johanni

I have been told that 6-8 fish is a good number for this tank. I also have heard that overstocking can really help curb aggression.

First question. 6-8 a good number? More? Less?

Second question. Any ideas on what other individuals to add or avoid? I would like a good mix of color and species that will play nice together or at least as nice as expected for cichlids. I have no interest in breeding.

My local pet store has some Haps in with their Mbunas. I've read that is a bad idea. I'm finally ready for a colorful cichlids tank. Thanks for the help.

Don't feel the need to water down responses. My undergrad was in aquatic ecology with a focus on ichthyology. Problem is, I can tell you everything about North American fish but not African cichlids......

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tanks too small for haps. Most are going to tell you its too small for what you have now.

You will need to go with dwarfs for a 29 gallon. Fish you have now will get 4 to 6 inches.

Thanks to the both of you. Being that I am "in it" already, anything anyone can give in the advise realm other than buy a bigger tank?

Always Appreciated,

---BaierBones

I have an albino lab. I love anything albino. I also have a yellow lab, a cobalt blue, an OB zebra and a few others not sure of the names lol. I am also adding fish a few at a time and so far so good. The ob zebra is the ruler of the tank. I also like my blue cobalt not sure if it's the same as a blue Johanni I don't think it is. My cobalt blue is very laid back. My cichlids have been in the tank together now for a few months except for the ob zebra (he's new). I am not an expert with cichlids by no means just trying to give you some ideas of cichlids that I have.

Thank you very much. I'm trying to convince the wife of some albino stuff. The genetics behind being albino makes it cool enough as it is. I'm going to look into the cobalts as well. Thanks again.

Always Appreciated,

---BaierBones

Back
Top Bottom