new 45 gallon fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are tons of fish to consider, but as a new fish in a new tank that probably could use an algae controller or another...is the rock blenny. May not be a pretty fish, but they are very characteristic and do a good job :) Don't introduce too many at once. One or two fish at a time and wait at least two weeks in between introductions. This time will allow the bio to catch up and allow the fish to become comfortable in their new home.

If you don't have a population of inverts yet, get some of them first...reef hermits, shrimp, snails, feather dusters. Skunk cleaners will prove helpful for when the fish are introduced. You can get coral. It's easy to populate with inverts because they don't take up much of the bio load. It's when you start introducing fish is when you really need to be careful with ammonia.

do you have anything in there now?

I have a 45 myself. I would recommend a couple of O. Clowns and a firefish for starters. I consider these 'must have' IMO. For another fish or 2, you can choose from a blenny, goby, basslet (black cap or royal gramma), or a dwarf angel - Coral Beauty or Flame Angel. The dwarf angels are borderline reef safe fish. Some people have good ones, others have some that will nip at corals and inverts such as featherdusters.

For inverts, shrimp and featherdusters are very cool. Those are what people pay more attention to than the fish IME. I wouldn't recommend a CBS though because they are known to kill other shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom