New 6ft tank what to do with filters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonnie89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just bought a 6x2x1.5 fish tank. The bloke who owned it was running an UGF and an aquaclear 500 HOB (500 i assume means 500GPH which converts to roughly 1892 litres) I want to get rid of the UGF because i've heard nothing but bad things and i want to go with PFS for substrate. Ive currently got a Fluval 305 running my 4ft cichlid tank and was thinking of combining both the Fluval and HOB filter on the 6ft tank.. If ive done the correct reasearch the fluval (1000lph) + aqua clear (1892lph) = overkill? I want to stick a fluval fx5 on there but will have to save for a few weeks. Will this work till then? I've managed to confuse myself so hopefully someone will be able to help? =)

Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

Theres no such thing as over filtration lol.

I think youll be ok til you can get an FX5 running both. I'm waiting for my fx5 to come tomorrow and I'm currently using a fluval 305 as well.

Good luck, post some pictures when its all cleaned up and ready to go!

I know how it is doing a build. lol I'm literally in the middle of moving my cichlids from a 55g to a 125g.

I was going to run dual flubvals for a time but decided to just move the media from the 305 to the new one. Hopefully I won't see much of a cycle doing it that way.

Theres some really good deals on the fx5 on amazon. i paid 234.99 with free shipping. :)

234.99 is a bargain! Will definitely have a look. Cheers

A second aquaclear 500 (aka 110) would be much less $$ than the fluval and most likely quite enough filtration as well.

Would the quality of filtration be enough? The aqua clear has a a whopping big sponge in it but no bio media like the canister.. I thought the bio media was somewhat necessary?

I prefer canisters over HOB's on bigger tanks. I have a Fluval 305, Fluval 405, and Rena Xp3 on my 125 and its just perfect. I think an FX5 would be a great choice

The sponges are also fine for biological filtration. The bacteria will grow on any surface in the water, and rinsing the debris out of the sponge/s in tank water doesn't significantly reduce their numbers. I use 2 of the blocks in my 110's, replace one at a time when they're ready to fall apart, every 5-6 years or so...

Back
Top Bottom