new 75 G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

Picked up a tank at a garage sale. The seller (was not his) was not sure about the capacity. Having lugged it home with my friend I measured it: 48"WX21"HX18"L, comes out to roughly 78 gallons, which I (being a complete newbie) means that this is a 75 gallon tank. Does that sound right?

I want to create a freshwater environment in this thing. I was wondering, since I don't live that far from the sea shore, can I go and pick up small pebbles to be used as a gravel? Other then rinsing them, anything else has to be done in order for them to go into a freshwater tank?

Please help with this. I was undbale to find a site with pictures about a basic aquarium set up. I mean the most basic for now. I have no idea how to mount a filter(especially if the filter looked something like this http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin350b.html), and do I really need hood? Is there a site for that?

Thanks,

Lorus...

I'd go to the local fish store or local pet store and pick up a couple books on freshwater tanks. They have simple setups and a list of all you need to get for a tank. They also have pictures of equipment and setups.

HERE is a list of books.

Read up on the nitrogen cycle, found HERE
This is another good article to read.
Click for another FW aquarium guide website.

None of the sites have pictures though. So I'd just pick up a couple books before setting the tank up.

But how about using sea pebbles as gravel?

The pebbles you have to be careful with. Washing them in a water/vinegar, or even water/bleach solution would be best to kill any bacteria/algae that will no doubt be on it (espically if you get it while it's wet!) Rinsing will also help it NOT fog up your water.

Knowing what kind of rock it is helps. Limestone will make your water VERY basic, and alot of sea substrate will make your water hard/high in calcium. (ok if your going with ciclids, but alot of fish can't handle it.)

Now, I'm always learning, so someone correct me if i've got something backwards!

Question about this filter

http://www.aquariumguys.com/penguin350b.html

I am just using this filter as an example, but from the looks of it, it looks like it just goes on top of a wall of the aquarium. The problem is that I have platic moldings attached to the edges all around the top, so I am not sure that this filter will fit.

Also, can someone tell me what this 'extension' is for? http://www.aquariumguys.com/extensiontube10.html Is it so it can go deeper into the water?

Thanks,

Lorus...

For a 75 gal I would go with a canister filter instead of a hob. HOBs are fine for smaller tanks, but for anything 55 gal+, stick with a canister. They have a higher price tag up front but are much more efficient. Instructions will come with the filter on how to set it up. And if you have any questions, I'm sure at least one member from this site has used every filter under the sun.

You will need:
Filter
Heater
Hood (yes, you need one. Otherwise fish can jump out)
Lights
Gravel (you can use the pebbles but make sure you clean them well and test to make sure they do not raise your pH)
Decor
Net
Test Kit

That's all you really need to setup the tank.

The filter will fit. The long tube goes inside the tank while the other part hangs over the back. I have molding on my tanks too and the HOB filters still fit.

I think a cannister filter would be best. Otherwise, you'd probably need to get 2 HOB filters, which will run close to the same price as a cannister.

Back
Top Bottom