New 75 gallon tank little money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jandkmcdonald

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am almost ready to start stocking my tank. The problem is I have a limited money supply to start with. I am wanting to do an African cichlid tank, I have read that they can be aggressive and territorial if you don't overstock and give them significant hiding space. So should I spend the money buying more fish or more decoration? Also, how many cichlids should I need to overstock a 75?

It's not strictly true that you need to overstock to curb aggression.If you choose the right compatible fish you won't have majuro problems.Decor plays a big part in this as your fish need plenty of hiding spots.You need to break up the line of sight within the tank so that your fish can hide if necessary.

Certain fish I would advise staying away from if you want to avoid aggression.

Avoid :

Kenyi
Johanni
Cobalt blue zebras
Bumblebees

Go for :

Yellow lab
Red zebra
Afra's
Cynotilapia

Generally these are more passive fish.

garfy said:
Interesting I have 5 and they are meek as kittens.

Those do seem to go both ways. I have two and one can be nasty and the other is pretty calm.

Also not to confuse the op where garfy said afra then Cynotilapia. Cynotilapia is all the afra's I thought.?.

There are many others that could be added to that group imo like the mbamba yellow fin. I have several and they breed worse then my labs and are really laid back to others. The male can be really pushy to the females. So if you are going to keep them and not have an all male tank I'd aim for at least 4 females to 1 male.

That's my only two cents for now lol :) as I trust all of garfy's advice anytime of the day.

Back
Top Bottom