New 90L Open Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm just in the process of setting up a new 90L FW Open tank. I bought the tank from E-Bay, with a faulty lighting unit, so have purchased a GLO twin T5 overhead unit, for the new setup and after modifying the rim of the tank, all is securely attached.

When I bought the lighting unit, the store kindly threw in a couple of F.O.C T5 bulbs. One is a Life Glo, but the other is a Marine Glo (due to them having no other T5's in stock).

I will be slowly adding a few plants during my fishless cycle, but am wondering if there is any point trying the Marine Glo bulb, or whether the light spectrum is wrong for growing plants, even though I'm selecting fairly hardy, low to mid light options?? The plants I have on order which are due to arrive are: Echinodorus 'rose' & Limnobium laevigatum, for starters.

I quite like the blue light thrown out by the unit, but want to check if it would have any detrimental effects on either planting or eventually livestock?

Any advice welcome :)

Tank looks good. Just keep this in mind the faster you plant the tank heavily the lower your odds of getting alge. If you supply your tank with high lighting all-day the light will all hit the bottom of the tank the more alge growth you promote.

CleverBs said:
Tank looks good. Just keep this in mind the faster you plant the tank heavily the lower your odds of getting alge. If you supply your tank with high lighting all-day the light will all hit the bottom of the tank the more alge growth you promote.

Thanks. I've not been using any lighting at all. Just turned 'em on for the photo! I've got some floating plants on order (Limnobium laevigatum) for a change as my other tanks have lids, which should help with too much lighting. I've also picked some lower light plants for the bottom as the floaters may restrict some penetration.

Back
Top Bottom