New Addition...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimes135

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added my first fish. It is a Sunset (banana) Wrasse. He is about 7-8 inches long and is doing great so far. Any recommendations on feeding. So far I have mysis and brine shrimp, marine cuisine, and live feeders. I soak the food in garlic guard and he seems to love it. What are the benefits/ risks to feeding live food, and how often should it be done?

Attachments

• 10_73_113.jpg
    10_73_113.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1_80_898.jpg
    1_80_898.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
nice fish. As far as benefits from feeding live fish, IMO, absolutely zero. As far as things going against it, the biggest one is from diseases you can introduce to the tank through the use of them. Other inconveniences are the plain hassle of it and the fact that unless your feeders are naturally saltwater fish, they will not have good nutritional value.

I feed my fish a mix of mysis, brine, flake and pellet every other day.

Yeah i have a 30 gal refugium where my inverts are. yesterday i fed one live feeder and the wrasse loved it. i know that there are no nutritional values to these feeders however do they do any harm? and would it be ok to give him one once a week or so as a treat?

grimes135 said:
do they do any harm?
Hara already answered that:
Hara said:
As far as things going against it, the biggest one is from diseases you can introduce to the tank through the use of them. Other inconveniences are the plain hassle of it and the fact that unless your feeders are naturally saltwater fish, they will not have good nutritional value.

I agree it's too much of a risk (infection) as well. The frozen soaked in garlic is enough of a treat. You could always make your own also :D

Hope you are QT your stock before adding to your tank.

grimes135 said:
i know that there are no nutritional values to these feeders however do they do any harm?

I think Lisa already answered this question. They can introduce disease and parasites to your tank. If you know them to be of no nutritional value then why take the chance?

Back
Top Bottom