New Betta Sorority Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefoodieandrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a twenty five gallon aquarium that I am planning on converting into a Betta sorority tank. I would like to aquascape it and I would like to introduce multiple female bettas. I have never done this before. So does anybody have some advice?

I'd start with adding the substrate and cycling the tank if not done already. For an aquascaped tank it's going to be important to choose a substrate that will allow for the growth of plants. Ecocomplete is my personal favorite, avoid tiny particle substrate like sand or clay as it will cause root rot, a porous gravel will work as well. Once the tank is cycled (no ammonia or nitrite) you can add plants (ammonia will kill plants and fish but it is necessary for cycling). I recommend beginner plants like Anubias and java fern and java moss. They are very simple to keep and don't require special lights to grow. Most fish stores carry java fern and anubis, (java moss or any kind of moss has been difficult in my area... so if they have it you should get some when you can). Then add your fish! Any other advice?

Have even numbers, I'd say six. Have lots of plants and decor for them to break eyesight lines and to hide in. Bettas like it warm. Be prepared to possibly remove one if there is a super aggressive one. Try to pick ones that are all around the same size, and put them all in together.

Back
Top Bottom