New betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw on a Black Friday add 50% off a 5 gallon starter kit! So I would love to buy that for my male betta sushi. It is only around 15 dollers and includes all it a heater. So
1) how much should a good heater cost, and what watt...25 or 50
2) what tank mates can I get? Mabye a few ottos, ghost shrimp, and Mabye a platy? Or if I could get a 10 could I get a pair of Cory's, a school of tetras?

Depends. A 25 watt heater is good. Off amazon it is only about 13 dollars. Not platies or ottos as tankmates. And I think Ghost shrimp prefer cooler water.Are you cycling the tank first or doing a fish in cycle?

A 25 watt heater will work just fine. Is this a 5-gallon octagon tank or a regular rectangle tank? The same retailer you're buying the tank from will most likely have some Black Friday sales on heaters as well. In fact, most big box pet stores have some kind of special going on right now on heaters. Petsmart has Fluval heaters at discounted prices at the moment.

David

I believe it is rectangle.
So can I put anything else in it? I was hoping a platy, loach, a pair if Cory's, or really anything that is a fish. I know I will be adding snails and ghost shrimp.

No. It is too small for the other fish. A betta and some shrimp or snails should be fine.

If you can find some pygmy cories, that might work. One betta and, say, 5 Corydoras habrosus, should be okay.

David

I wouldn't do any type of Corys in a 5; a 10 might be ok for pygmys but I think a 5 is too small as they are active fish. A platy and a Betta in a 5 gal is too much and it's likely the betta would go after the platy anyway. Most bettas don't like tank mates. I'd do the betta and a snail if it will tolerate it. You can try shrimp too but it'll depend on the betta whether they'll survive. Try adding some moss and dense hiding spots for the shrimp. A 25w heater should be sufficient; try to get an adjustable one. A temp of 78-80 would be good for the betta.

I'm gonna try a betta, a pair of corries. I will have a few hiding spots aswell, and Pygmy Cory's. also, woul neons be eaten)

Back
Top Bottom