New Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well today, after having had stable water conditions following my cycle I decided that I would go out and purchase the two Bolivian Rams that I promised myself over a month ago. My LFS stock was low...down to only 3 (were 9 this time last week), but I managed to watch these guys for a while and they all seemed very chilled out. Sexing them was practically impossible and as I am not fussed about breeding (although it would be nice if they did!) I selected the two that seemed to hang out together the most.

After 3 hours aclimatising I let these little chaps into the tank and although timid have began claiming a spot under a resin root decoration. They seem very happy with each others company so they may be M:F however I think it is more likely that they are M:M. They are still a little camera shy (and the guppies that are their tankmates are not!) which make photography v. difficult. That and the fact I only have the phone on my camera to work with but below is a shot of these two! Am so pleased with them. Just need to think of a couple of names now :)

Attachments

• IMG-20120817-00033.jpg
    IMG-20120817-00033.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 93
Am starting to wonder whether these are actually juvenile? The dark "spot" is not very dark at the moment so thinking that perhaps it may be too young to sex them anyway. THey are less than 2" long at the moment. One does appear to have elongated trailers on the fin while the other does not.

Look like 2 males by the look of their chin, going to be lovely when they settle - good choice, I have medium to small fish, but there is just something about the Bolivians I love. I would say they are at least few months old, older than juvenile.

I LOVE my Bolivians! Yes, they do look like males. But wait to see if one or both devolve trailers on the tail. One of mine that I thought was a female started to get trailers on it's tail, so I'm sure it's a male. The other might be a female, but not 100% sure.

Yes, I think you are right. Now they are becoming more settled they seem to be seperating a bit. Anyway, we will see. As long as they get on well together I don't mind.

matty2085 said:
Yes, I think you are right. Now they are becoming more settled they seem to be seperating a bit. Anyway, we will see. As long as they get on well together I don't mind.

I don't know why but, it's better to have two male that two females together.

Back
Top Bottom