new corals with questionable guest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dakotajoe1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought a few corals and as I was dipping then I noticed a small starfish on my zoan colony. I immedietly pulled it out and put it in my tank. I originally thought they were baby brittle stars but now I'm not so sure. I'm worried they are they kind that eat coral and multiply like crazy (forgot their name). Any ideas? The pics are of the star compared to a turbo snale above it. Oh and there were actually between 5 and 10 of them on the coral.

ForumRunner_20120908_192050.jpg

ForumRunner_20120908_192111.jpg

Your first thought was right, baby Brittle stars. They're fine, they won't hurt any corals, and are good scavengers to have to pick up any uneaten food. I've got hundreds of them in my display tank and fuge.

Awesome thanks! I was hoping thays what they were. So they will grow to be full size brittles? My tank is only around 2 months old too, will that be a problem for them?

I'm not sure how big they will get. The largest ones I've seen in my tank are about 3", from tip to tip, on opposing arms, and the tank is 8 years old. I think these are a different type than the ones that get big.
As far as the age of your set-up, they should be fine in there. They will scavenge anything you are feeding your other inhabitants.
Best of luck with your tank! :)

Looks like it could be a banded serpent star, but again harmless. I have one and he is about 6 inches from tip to tip. Either way, your good and they eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom