New fancies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I know that the tank is about 10 gallons too small but i will upgrade in a year. The tank used to house my mudskippers but after 5 years they both passed and I was going to get rid of the tank but i couldnt even give it away for some reason.

The guppies are in there from the cycling process. I cycled the tank and when i put the goldfish in something happened and now im getting traces of ammonia. My LFS was cleaning there tanks out and i could see they had the same filter(marineland 350) and i asked if i could buy one of their used cartridges but the guy got pissy after i asked twice saying "we dont do that here" I really dont think i will be going back there even though they have a good selection. That want even the first time i had an issue there. They once had a ceylon puffer labeled as a large figure 8 and i notified 2 different people on 2 different occassions but they never changed the hand written label. Anyway right now doing water changes every other day to help keep my guys alive. if anyone has some filter media from a coldwater tank that they would like to send my i would really appreciate it. also looking for more anubias or other plants that are tough and wont get eaten by the goldies. I am in the philly area if you are close by.

A year will be too late. The Goldfish will be permanently stunted by then. Lifespan will be majorly shortened.

Consider using a 40g sturdy plastic bin or stock tank.

Or look at a used 40-75g tank.

Goldfish do their most rapid growth in that first year.

IMG_1003.JPGIMG_1004.JPG

Baby at pet store size next to adult.

Look at SolidGold on YouTube for awesome GF tanks and advice.

Or search this site for lots of GF advice.

10g is not adequate.

10g is not adequate.

I have a 29 gallon and I said I am about 10 gallons to small meaning I should have a 40 gallon. I dont think a 29 gallon will be a problem for a year. I am in the process of looking for homes and I am getting married so once I get a new house they will be in a 50+ gallon tank.

Aa3Jkmq.jpg

v11GHly.jpg

nBP8bEo.jpg

Bottom line....hard to have enough tank or filter for gold fish. Extraordinary amount of waste. People get false sense of security as many are tough durable fish. They get away with small tank for months untill parameters become volatile as the fish grow.

Pretty tank! I do think it's a bit snug for 2 fancies to do most of their growing. I urge you to keep up with tank maintenance/water changes. For goldies it's better to have a tank that is wider rather than tall for better oxygen exchange. If you could get your hands on a 40 breeder you'd be set for a while with only those 2. Those are cute babies :)

Back
Top Bottom