New filter pads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Em29uk

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just read that the filter pads and foam should be changed every 2-3 months , wouldn't that be taking away a lot of the good bacteria?

If you do a complete change, shake the existing pad out in the tank or put the old/new in a bag w tank water and dance for a few minutes, or.... Once a month, while doing a w/c, shake your filter pad in bucket of tank water and put it right back. Always shut off filter when pad is out!

I just read that the filter pads and foam should be changed every 2-3 months , wouldn't that be taking away a lot of the good bacteria?
Did you read this on a manufacturers site. They would love you to change them this often....$$$. Some even suggest monthly. The only thing you may need to change is carbon or poly type pads. Sponge pads and foam will last years. Just follow Brooksters123's post.....

Did you read this on a manufacturers site. They would love you to change them this often....$$$. Some even suggest monthly. The only thing you may need to change is carbon or poly type pads. Sponge pads and foam will last years. Just follow Brooksters123's post.....

Yea I read it on the box that the filter pads come in, I don't really see why I'd need to change them that often as like u said it looks like they'd last for years!! Thx for the advice

Yea I read it on the box that the filter pads come in, I don't really see why I'd need to change them that often as like u said it looks like they'd last for years!! Thx for the advice
No problem. Good luck with the filter. For extra water polishing, try some polyfill (filter floss). You can buy it in Hobby & Craft shops or online. A few dollars for a big bag that will last you a LONG time. Just make sure it's 100% polyfill, no additives, eg Fire Retardants......

No problem. Good luck with the filter. For extra water polishing, try some polyfill (filter floss). You can buy it in Hobby & Craft shops or online. A few dollars for a big bag that will last you a LONG time. Just make sure it's 100% polyfill, no additives, eg Fire Retardants......
Just put it in filter cartridge?

We never replace until they are falling apart / no longer functional. Just rinse and reuse. Manufacturer recommendations are based on their bottom line. ;)

You'll need to use an absorbing media that you place in your filter along with regular filter pads. Purigen is the gold standard for getting out tannins. You can get the 100ml packet that you rinse and drop into your filter. OS.

You'll need to use an absorbing media that you place in your filter along with regular filter pads. Purigen is the gold standard for getting out tannins. You can get the 100ml packet that you rinse and drop into your filter. OS.

Purigen is great for some applications, but it is far from a "must" in most.

Back
Top Bottom