New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keletha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am looking to purchase a new filter and I am undecided on which to buy. I have a 27 gallon hexagon freshwater fish tank, and I was thinking about canister, hob or even an undergravel. I do have aquarium sand, and any advice on which one that would help me maintain the clarity and health of my fish would be appreciated.

By the way i do have 2 humpback glassfish, 2 plattys and 3 catfish in the tank currently.

I wouldn't recommend an undergravel filter especially if you've got sand. I use a fluval 200 in my 26 gallon and its spot on so id recommend that

I will just add that its not the fluval 'mini'
Also it dosent have to be a fluval, any 200 litre plus filter should be good enough.

Go big or go broke. Buy the biggest filter you can with your budget. Eheim, aquaclear, Fluval, and Rena are good and respectable brands.

UGFs don't work with sand or plants.

I like HOBs because they're cheap, simple, and effective. An AquaClear 50 or AC70 would do well on your tank. I run an AC70 on my 29g and the water is clearer than the glass.

Rule of thumb: Get a filter rated for twice the volume of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom