New Fish and Tank Update! and questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmg996

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its been a very long time since ive last updated about my tank! Its going great! I had a flame gourami but he got gourami disease and died. So i went to the store 2 days ago and got a dwarf neon gourami and a clown pleco! I love the guy hes very nice looking and very active. The clown pleco on the other hand, i only see when i have the tank light off but turn on the bedroom light. I wish he would come out during the day! On thursday i plan on going to the pet store and getting 4-6 more cardinal tetras and a new filter. The tank setup right now is 1 dwarf gourami, 4 cardinal tetras, 2 julii corys, and the clown pleco. I have a real cool driftwood setup and the filter is an aquaclear 30. So on thursday im getting a few more pieces of driftwood and some cardinals. Should i get a new filter? can I get another pleco that i can see?

Cardinals with a dg sounds like a very pretty combo. I have heard other people have similar experiences with clown plecos. But, I don't know what size tank you have.

Well, I do not have any experience with that filter, but in general, I have heard the aquclear HOB's (which is what I think you have) are not the most powerful, so you should usually use one rated for a bigger tank than you have. But, how does your water test when you do parameter checks? If the water is good, then I wouldn't worry about it.
I wouldn't recommend a second pleco in there, but maybe some otos since they are small. I have heard some clown plecos tend to just primarily eat driftwood instead of algae.
Are you going to add a few more juliis too?

if the store has more juliis then yes. And should I go for a 50? Thats another thing I need, more test liquid! Only liquid I have is pH. If I get 2 more Juliis, an aquaclear 50, and driftwood and test liquid. How many more cardinals do you think I can squeeze in there?

And I dont have a massive algae problem, just patches of green on one rock. I dont want the ottos to starve.

IMO, you would be fine with 6 cardinals, 4-6 julii, the dg, the clown, and 3 otos. You can feed otos blanched veggies. Also, instead of otos, you culd get a snail of some sort. They come in pretty colors and are not big hiders. :)
I would suggest the 50 filter to be safe, but its all up to you. :)

Back
Top Bottom