New fish or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A friend is moving and can't keep his fish, he offered them to me but don't know if I should take them?

1- Red Devil Cichlid, 8"
1- puffer fish

Ive had red devils before, not the nicest fish, but never a puffer. He says they are in a 55 gallon right now. Can anyone give me info on Littered that might help me decide what to do??

Hello. Do you know what kind of puffer fish it is? Is it a green-spotted puffer, a darf puffer, some other puffer?
Its nice of to consider taking his fish.
In general, puffers do not make good community residents IMO. They get aggressive and territorial. Also, gsp have salinity requirements that are different from many other fish.

Puffers can be aggressive which kind is it?

He said it is a green spotted puffer....I really don't know anything about them? I do cichlids...lol

absolutangel04 said:
Hello. Do you know what kind of puffer fish it is? Is it a green-spotted puffer, a darf puffer, some other puffer?
Its nice of to consider taking his fish.
In general, puffers do not make good community residents IMO. They get aggressive and territorial. Also, gsp have salinity requirements that are different from many other fish.

It's a green spotted, I did a little research on Google and I'm not sure he knows what he's doing?! Or maybe I'm getting wrong info?

It's a green spotted, I did a little research on Google and I'm not sure he knows what he's doing?! Or maybe I'm getting wrong info?
Yeah, if you did research I am guessing you saw that gsp should be in brackish water and eventually full marine. They are the puffer that I personally have seen the most, and a lot of store sell them in freshwater and don't always tell people the fish should be converted to bw and then to sw. Just my opinion, but I think if you wanted to take that tank, you would have to re-home one fish or the other since as far as I know, red devils wouldn't work in bw-sw.

absolutangel04 said:
Yeah, if you did research I am guessing you saw that gsp should be in brackish water and eventually full marine. They are the puffer that I personally have seen the most, and a lot of store sell them in freshwater and don't always tell people the fish should be converted to bw and then to sw. Just my opinion, but I think if you wanted to take that tank, you would have to re-home one fish or the other since as far as I know, red devils wouldn't work in bw-sw.

That's kinda what I was thinking. He says they are strictly FW, which is how my empty (no fish in it yet) 55 is set up. After reading what I've read I don't know if I'm prepared for a BW/SW...having never had one...I don't want his babies to lose a home, put Im just not understanding how this would work?! Thanks for your help!!!!!

That's kinda what I was thinking. He says they are strictly FW, which is how my empty (no fish in it yet) 55 is set up. After reading what I've read I don't know if I'm prepared for a BW/SW...having never had one...I don't want his babies to lose a home, put Im just not understanding how this would work?! Thanks for your help!!!!!
No problem. You did research, so you saw what other sites/owners said about gsp, so thats good. :)
I don't blame you for not wanting to do bw-sw, I have never done it either. But, maybe you could suggest some other options your friend, like trying to re-home the gso through a lfs if he can't find a person to take it, or he could try craiglist maybe.

Back
Top Bottom