New Fluval Spec V Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I finally got around to adding some permanent residents to the tank! I've added 1 Endler's livebearer and 1 lyre tail guppy. Both are males and get along swimmingly! ? they will join the Otocinclus cat I've already had in there.

My plants are continuing to grow. I am thinking about adding in something that will create a little carpet in the foreground area of the tank. Any suggestions???
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470531934.001531.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470531944.790801.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470531956.161834.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1470531967.048504.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That wisteria man! Ha. I would snip the carpet growth of the wisteria to try to stop it overtaking the tank. I loved it in my tank but boy does it grow fast. The other plants look really well.

Congrats on the purchases. You will need a small carpet plant for this. Fresh2o is up on his carpets so he might advise better. I've only used glossostigma. There also Hemianthus callitrichoides or you could even try a moss.

Haha I know it! Gives a whole new meaning to "grows like a weed". I'm doing a water change Tom so I may snip some of it back.

I've been doing a little research on some carpeting plants for the foreground area. I'll report back when I've decided on something!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Crypt parva is an easy, albeit slow, foreground plant that will eventually carpet. Some other options are Dwarf Hairgrass, Micro Sword, Downoi (stem plant--it'll need manual trimming for form a "carpet"), Staur repens (another stem plant that would need manual trimming and placement to "carpet"), and those that were mentioned above.

I got crypto on one side and dwarf hairgrass in a 20 and the DHW took off. My crypto is slower but looks so lush and green and is getting quite tall in some areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Trimmed a lot of the wisteria out of my tank today while doing a water change. It was starting to block off the light to my sword plant behind it. Haven't decided on a foreground plant yet but I'm leaning towards using dwarf hair grass - I think it would make an interesting addition that should "blow" a fair amount in the current. All fish still doing well!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471234408.145321.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1471234418.582806.jpg

Lovely and green. I predict that you will end up removing the wisteria ?

It looked awesome when I had it in my 15 gallon but it was practically the only plant in there. Wish I still had the picture.

Trimmed a lot of the wisteria out of my tank today while doing a water change.

I see it's doing to you what it did to me: growing along the substrate and then up. Eventually, it was almost like monkey bars and had taken over half of a 10g. I finally had to "go nuclear" with the trimming scissors. Pretty plant, but grows like no one's business.

Nice lil tank. I've been tempted to get the new led for my spec v. Again nice simple tank!

Hey thanks! I need to post an update! I've just been allowing the wisteria to grow back for now.

Back
Top Bottom