New Fry/water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyPisces

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently discovered black molly fry (4) in my 40 gal. tank while doing a complete water change. They look like they are at least 2 to 3 weeks old. My question is should I place them back in the 40 gal. tank with the mother and 6 other fishes (2 dalamations mollies, 1 balloon belly, 2 platys, and 2 neon Danios) or keep them separate for safety purposes. I have placed them in 1 gal. tank with the water they have been thriving in. Since this is a new water change, I am concern whether it will cause sickness or worst death. I have included a pic of fry and 40 gal. tank. Please advise. Thank you so much��

Attachments

• 15077495231511255977916.jpg
    15077495231511255977916.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 1507749585547676373585.jpg
    1507749585547676373585.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Your Fry

I recently discovered black molly fry (4) in my 40 gal. tank while doing a complete water change. They look like they are at least 2 to 3 weeks old. My question is should I place them back in the 40 gal. tank with the mother and 6 other fishes (2 dalamations mollies, 1 balloon belly, 2 platys, and 2 neon Danios) or keep them separate for safety purposes. I have placed them in 1 gal. tank with the water they have been thriving in. Since this is a new water change, I am concern whether it will cause sickness or worst death. I have included a pic of fry and 40 gal. tank. Please advise. Thank you so much��

Hello Hap...

Moving fish can be risky. Rough handling can cause injury. Keep all the fish together in the main tank and start feeding all the fish more and more often. Add some floating plants like Hornwort. I've found that well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry and fry will grow faster on the extra food. Well planted tanks make good hiding places for fry.

Make sure you're keeping up with your water changes. Adding food means changing more water and changing it more often. You don't want water chemistry problems.

B

Hello Hap...

Moving fish can be risky. Rough handling can cause injury. Keep all the fish together in the main tank and start feeding all the fish more and more often. Add some floating plants like Hornwort. I've found that well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry and fry will grow faster on the extra food. Well planted tanks make good hiding places for fry.

Make sure you're keeping up with your water changes. Adding food means changing more water and changing it more often. You don't want water chemistry problems.

B
Thank you, for this advice, B. This is my third batch of fry, but the other two didn't survive during water change because they were so young and small. So I thought to seek the advice of experts such as yourself. Please, I have another question, since I received this message after the water change, do you think it is safe just to keep them in the smaller tank? Or should I just transfer the fry and see what happens?

Back
Top Bottom