New girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat2k12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm Natalie, I'm new on here. And I was wondering if someone could help me out please? I think my guppy is pregnant but am not sure, I don't no if u can look at my pictures or not, but I've uploaded one of her, it's not the best pic, but she is defo bigger then the rest. Please help
X

Yup!

She looks preggo. It is hard for me to tell how soon it might be from the view of the pic.

Welcome to AA! :welcome:

Everyone will want to know about your tank, like what size and filter type and which kinds of fish you have and how long you have had them, etc.

You can do that on your profile.

Your other fish will eat the babies if they get the chance....:(

Providing you would like to keep them do you have another tank momma can stay in while she has the babies, then take her out when she is done giving birth, ( which can take a day or so)? Or you can get a few more plants to hang loose in the top and sides to give them some extra cover.

Momma guppy will start to look square instead of round in the front of her body, it is hard to describe but I saw it in mine and decided to save as many babies as possible putting her into an additional tank, and had babies right away, it can take more than a day! Also I feed mine while she is having birth less likely to want eat babies, and keep her energy up. Just a pellet at a time till she goes away.

I like Hikari Microbites, and you can crush them up for the babies as well. Don't cloud the water, and good nutritionally.

Good luck.

They will probably move this thread to the breeding section, since its an intro and breeding question, idnk.

Others have much more experience in this, but if I can help let me know!:flowers: There are lots of fish question answering friends here!

Look up "guppy Log" on freshwater breeding section. Very long but some really good info.

Wanted to say, she has finally had fry!! I was to late for moving her, so dint no how many she has had, but I have managed to save 3. So proud of my self, it was my first time. Defo learn from that mistake, as soon as I no there pregnant i will pop them in there breeding tank. Thank you again for your advise, I'll learn for next time :)

Depending if they are young/new moms, they don't always have many. I had one 13 babies, one had about 6 she was a little and young one, and the like 15 and 12 or so can't count then when there are so many. They are all fairly young maybe first time moms!

Congrats on your babies, remember it can take a day or so. To finish having them.

Yer I think it was her first time, I've just found another one so that's now 4 :) it's amazing how small they are, it's amazing my sister in law gave birth to my nephew and then I looked in my tank and my guppy had given birth :) how long till I can put them in with the rest? X

When they are roughy 1.5 - 2cm you should be able to put them back. This should be around 6-8 week depending on what you feed them on!

Most people say they are big enough to be put back when they cannot fit in the parents mouth!

Miracle of life! What other fish do you have in the tank?

Feed small amounts several times a day of quality food Hikari has first bites, if you are going to end up with lots of babies you can buy it or I crush my Hikari Microbites with the back of a spoon on a plate and do a teaspoon at a time to keep it simple and fresh then put in a zip baggie.

You should get a master test kit to check your tanks. Do water changes frequently to keep quality best. have you covered your filter intake with a nylon knee high or sponge to keep the babies out of the filter? That would be a good idea.

Hopefully you are reading tons of info about being a fish gramma/new aunt. lol

I changed my water today and found a further 4 fry so that equals to 8 now :) I have in my tank, guppies, platy, swordtail, neon, danios, mollys and two apple snails. The babies are doing really well :) once they are a little bigger I'll pop some photos on :) i took a sample of my water to pets at home over the weekend, they said my water was perfect and was better then theres, so i must be doing something right lol thank you so much for all your advice :) I'm off for cuddles thus weekend with my nephew :) x

Back
Top Bottom