New Goldfish is acting lethargic - help???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newmancat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. It is very lengthy but I am trying to give as much information as possible because my fish needs help!

I recently got a very young Oranda goldfish from my local petstore. He is still very small, his total body is probably just over an inch in length. I have owned bettas in the past and they lived long happy lives and he is my first goldfish.

Anyway, I have had my goldfish for just over a week. I am keeping him in a 5 gallon tank with a 10 gallon filter. First of all, I KNOW that a 5 gallon tank is wayyy too small for even a young oranda. Unfortunately I do not have the money to purchase a bigger tank but I plan on moving him into something bigger (10 gallons or more) ASAP. I love my goldfish very much and I have bought ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH test kits so that I can make sure he is as healthy and safe as possible.

Another thing that I know I made the mistake of doing before purchasing him... I did not cycle the tank previous to buying him. I used API quick start and stress coat because I had been mislead by a source that told me that by adding quick start, the aquarium would not need to go through the month-long cycling process.

When I picked him out at the pet store, he and all of the other fish in the tank looked very healthy. He was very active and swam all over the tank. When I brought him home he continued to act very energetic and curious. However, within the past 24-48 hours, he has suddenly become very lethargic. He spends most of his time facing the same corner of the tank near the surface. He has always spent a lot of time in this particular spot, even when he was active, but know he just rests there and does not move with the exception of his fins moving slightly. Occasionally he swims around other areas of the tank, but he does so very slowly. I suspect that the culprit may be ammonia because the tank is not yet cycled and the tank levels range from 0.5 ppm to 2.0 ppm from day to day. However, I purchased and have been using API Ammolock to stop the ammonia from affecting him.

Today, I performed a water change of about 30%. After I changed the water, he seemed invigorated for about 20 minutes. He was swimming around, exploring, and I thought I had fixed the problem. However, after about an hour he returned to his lethargic self.

I am so worried about my goldfish. I know I have made mistakes with my tank and cycling it, but I really do love my fish and I want the best for him. I suspect the cause is ammonia or some othe water toxin, but even after treating the water with Ammolock this has happened! Will this pass? Or is it a sign or something more serious that I should be concerned about? I do not know what to do. I don't want my fish to suffer. Please help me!!!

Update: I forgot to mention he still has his appetite! I just fed him one small flake of food and he gobbled it right up. He is now swimming around the tank again. He seems to do this when I interact with him, whether it be feeding him or just sitting next to the tank where he can see me. This may seem very ridiculous, but is it possible that he is bored? He was in a tank full of fish when I got him. Is he lonely/bored? That's probably a stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish are so cute and funny :)
As for your little guy, how often are you doing water changes? Goldfish produce a lot of waste (because they become such big fish!) and with the tank uncycled it would help to do a partial water change daily.

I hope that's all it is. He might be lonely too. When I had two Goldie's, they were best friends. I had to take one out for a while to treat him for something and they both became so sad. Once they were together again, they were very happy. But that could just be those two ;) they were an odd pair!

Katanas - because swords are awesome! (Even swordtails!)

I agree on the water changes. Lots and often I'm afraid. The ammonia locking products do work but wear off after 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks you for your replies!

I have done 3 partial water changes since I got him last Friday. I was considering doing small water changes everyday because he definitely seems to enjoy them, but I was worried that would mess up/slow down the cycling process. Will it? Also he seems to be a little better today, definitely more active.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: He now seems to have taken to laying on the bottom of the tank near the new decoration I got him today. I know this is definitely not a good sign. Time for another water change?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Another water change I'm afraid. As long as there is some ammonia, the bacteria population will increase to catch up until it matches the fish population (I've never seen the point of running high ammonia for fish-in cycles).

Back
Top Bottom