new guy to site

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tractorholic

Aquarium Advice Regular
:D:fish1:Well, I live in Az where water seems scarce. I've kept aquariums for over 30 years. Got divorced five years ago and sold all my tanks etc.. I was a dummy, never sell your stuff. Now I have a 20 and a 10 gallon tank going. I do have a 50 gallon tank but have no place to set it up, new wife says we have no room, so am waiting til I retire in a few months, then a room is going to be built for my tanks.:dance::dance: I then can do as I please, and that includes more tanks. Live bearers have always been my favorites so I want to breed several species. I have a community tank in the twenty gallon one, angels, guppies, platys, mollies, and some tetras.:flowers: I love this site for the information available. Theres so much new stuff out, and I know little about it. One goal is a tank with live plants in it for my fish.

welcome to AA:) a 20 is too small for an angel. java moss is a great plant,its almos invincible

I know a lot of folks think the tank in 20 gallon size is to small, but mine seem happy in it. Sometimes I trade the fish for smaller ones when they get to the 4 inch size. I do hope to get my 50 gallon tank going soon, then I can really have some more fun, and the angels will go in that tank, see if they get much bigger. Thanks folks.

Welcome Man! I've been thru the big D before and the selling of your stuff. I think its apart of the moving on process, however i regretted it too! lol Never get rid of things while angry is my lesson ha ha I love live bearers too but I currently have a thing for rainbows right now. They are egg layers but they are a lot of fun and very beautiful. I'm giving up my office apce for my tank room. Figure ill just drag my laptop in there lol theres a way around everything in life. mainly thru compramise but whatever right! Anyhow welcome all the same

Thanks Rush, it seems everytime I sell something, I end up regretting it within weeks. Live and learn. I envy your tank room. I'm going to have one before too long, have had enough with being without. ha ha I sure love this site, been a lot of help. Best of luck to you sir.

Look forward to some pictures of your future room. My still in the very early stages. I only have my 75 running right now. In time I will have my 10g/45g mirror back/37g baseball-diamond shaped tanks running as well. I'm considering a newt tank with some neon tetras for swimmers. idk yet. I'm gotten on to for not selling bc I dont wanna regret it later lol Only when it comes to fish related items tho. Anyhow, heres one for ya. if you had a tank in questions as far as clean goes what would you do to clean it?
I'll explain a bit, My 45g mirror back tank was what I called my death tank. No matter what i do that tank always goes south. It's an eclipse biowheel filtration setup, not a big fan by the way of biowheel filtration,I'm more a fluval person, but point is I love the tank,however i do not know how to make it safe without fear of contaminating it somehow. Any advice? Never had a death tank before lol

Hi Rush 81; I have nothing bigger than a 20 gallon going at the moment, and i'm old fashoned, I love the underground filters and that's what I use. Your death tank must be that due to the filtration system, I'd go to another type filtration system and see what happens. That;s all I know to do.
As for my room for fish, that is down the road a ways. I'm trying to figure out what to do to get my 50 gallon going. Never had one that large before.

hey rush 81, I just got your friendship request and accepted, I'd love to have you as a friend. If you wish you can contact me at tractorholic@gmail.com off site. Where are you anyway? I'm in Tempe, AZ

Hi Rush 81; I have nothing bigger than a 20 gallon going at the moment, and i'm old fashoned, I love the underground filters and that's what I use. Your death tank must be that due to the filtration system, I'd go to another type filtration system and see what happens. That;s all I know to do.
As for my room for fish, that is down the road a ways. I'm trying to figure out what to do to get my 50 gallon going. Never had one that large before.

IMO you'll have a easier time with the bigger tank. less level hassle. I like undergravel filters but actually forgot to put it in my 75 and didnt realize until i was done and I wasnt moving backwards at that point lol I live in Denton, Tx. Live in GA for a while and miss the fish selection there. Its not bad here but different. I am going to have to make up some custom sizing for my 45g bbdiamond tank odd shape but its before they said hey lets bow a piece of glass instead for making 3 flat sections in front great corner tank
On my 55 i set up a underwater blower to help cirrculate the water. And of course setup a canister pump brand opt of course but as i hae stated b4 im a fluval girl im in love with there new one with digital screen its over the top i think but i still love it maybe for that reason im not gonna lie lol

Hi Rush, I went to a local petsmart this afternoon for a few more fish, and a hew hood light. I was looking at and pricing the bigger tanks, and asked the guy at the store what to use in a 50 gallon tank I have so he showed me filters and pumps, but no underground filters, and I didn't ask him about them in that size. I didn't realise they were available. Thanks for letting me know that. My problem is the 50g tank is fours hours away in my old home. But, I have no place for it at the moment, negoiating with the other half on that one still. ha ha I've read that if you use live plants it's not good to use an underground filter, that so? thanks lady.

Hi Rush, I went to a local petsmart this afternoon for a few more fish, and a hew hood light. I was looking at and pricing the bigger tanks, and asked the guy at the store what to use in a 50 gallon tank I have so he showed me filters and pumps, but no underground filters, and I didn't ask him about them in that size. I didn't realise they were available. Thanks for letting me know that. My problem is the 50g tank is fours hours away in my old home. But, I have no place for it at the moment, negoiating with the other half on that one still. ha ha I've read that if you use live plants it's not good to use an underground filter, that so? thanks lady.

I've had ppl tell me they are not needed in the bigger tanks but I say to each there own. I honestly dont know much about plants in the tank all mine are plastic. However I would think undergravel filters would be bad in a planted tank because they need substrate to hold and grow into. It may rob them of nutrients idk. I say for 2 to 300.00 you can get a new 55/75g tank and stand. For 500.00 You could prob get the whole setup. But money doesnt grow on trees for everyone. At least not me, So I can see wanting that one back. And I say it will fit in your storage better then there right? lol

Thanks Rush. I've priced some 50 g tanks at petsmart and they sell one for $159 for a top fin kit. As for a stand, I can build my own for pennies on the dollar compared to what they charge for one. The filter system the guy showed me was about $45.00 and a pump he showed me would run about $20 . I once bought a filter system and pumps from a guy getting out of the hobby, but, after the big D, I can't find the stuff. So it looks like for about $100 I can get my stand built, with shelves and nice doors, plus the filtration system. Either way it's not a bad deal at all.

Back
Top Bottom