New Halfmoon No longer a Halfmoon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltypuppy

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought a new fish who has gorgeous fins and a 180 degree spread. Now here is the weird part. Yesterday I got him to flare up and it wasn't near a 180? So Is something wrong or is he just being weird?

Full 180 Degree Spread -
img_1326643_0_a0c566e61be2fe4fd446ec4d8bc5d8c5.jpg

His Flaring Now -
img_1326643_1_fc5e5ad09df7c1936062be48f9a56daf.jpg

When he is not Flaring -

img_1326643_2_b03bf0c0a535500045ddb71c5d0646c8.jpg

Here is a video clip of him the first day I had him....

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g114/iamgothicandyouarnt/?action=view&current=111_7192.mp4

Parameters are good as far as I know. I could take them to the pet store and get them tested again. I will post some pictures when I get home.

Saltypuppy said:
Parameters are good as far as I know. I could take them to the pet store and get them tested again. I will post some pictures when I get home.

Do you have your own kit? If not, get one. I recommend the API master test kit. The strips are notorious for being inaccurate, so don't get them. Liquid is the best.

The pet store may lie to you just to get your money. If there's a possibility of you buying some of their fish, etc, if they tell you you're good to go, they'll tell you it's perfect.

I say take what the store says for a grain of salt until proven true. Remember, they're a business, and need money to stay open. The people at AA don't make money by telling you what's best for your fish. We just want you and your fish to be healthy and happy.

So, get your own test kit, remember, liquid, not strips, and post your parameters. And post pictures of your Betta flaring, and not flaring.

Personally I wouldn't purchase fish without a test kit. You have no idea what is in the water you are putting them in, and it just isn't a good idea.

Even in perfect water, betta's can take a while to settle in and act their normal selves. Depending on how long you've had him, he may just not be completely comfortable yet.

I can look into getting a test kit however I am not prepared to purchase one at the moment. I do have the tank cylcled and it is heated at 78 degrees and it has a filter.

Does the place where fin looks like it's gone have brown or black around it?

Right now it's either he needs time to adjust, or fin rot. Bad water quality is usually the most common cause of fin rot. That's one reason you need to know you're parameters.

Nope. :D His fins look perfect! I know why I need to know my water quality. :p it just so happens I am broke right now. I will get one when I can though. :p

That is one nice looking betta you got there. If his fins look good, then he is likely just getting used to his surroundings. You will notice that they will flare A LOT for the first day or two, but after that they will calm down.

It looks to me like he's being lazy and only doing a half-flare :p Sometimes bettas with heavy fins won't flare all the way due to the weight of them.

Oh so before the first day or so he was just really pissy or something? So you think he is fine? Ya he is purdy. :D I couldn't leave him at the store. He actually looks a lot better in real life because the flash on my camera really brings out his green shine.

Here is two without flash -

img_1329097_0_0aad71eec13ff1206740d6888fcbe9f2.jpg

img_1329097_1_da34f4c4de62ce61cb9a3b5fa3db9649.jpg

Back
Top Bottom