new here doing some cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

js198027

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! Im new to this fish thing and yes like a lot of us newbies I found this site a little late. I started with a 15 gallon and 4 guppies. yep brought it home set up dumped in fish. know now big mistake. a week later added 3 more guppies and a Chinese algae eater. Shortly after we lost a guppy from the second batch and a few after. Thats when I found this site and the learning began :) So I have had the original 15 gal. for about 2 months now and it now has just 3 guppies 3 mickey mouse 3 black phantom tetras and the Chinese algae eater. I figured the tank was cycled but it really isnt so im doing a fish in cycle with that tank. In the mean time I have read about fish less cycling and bought another 15 that i am trying to fish less cycle. I bought the api master kit and am testing regularly. I think I am on the right track with everything. I do have a couple questions. When I am doing my pwc on the fish in cycle. ( to reduce ammo level) I syphon out water and add temp matched water that I have conditioned with api stress coat +. I add enough to the new water for the entire 15 gallons. Is this all I need to do? The fishless tank has been set up for about a week with ammo at about 3ppm temp is around 86 filter running and 2 air stones. took some decor from original tank but I dont think it had any bacteria to help. Just playing the waiting game. I learned yesterday that you need to shake the second bottle of the trate test really good. so this morning I did my testing and that changed my tests. I want to retest my tap water. Should I leave it sit with a bubbler for 24 hours to test all perimeters correctly or does that just help for correct ph test. Sorry This got so long and I know I left a lot out but wanted to start a thread and start getting some advice to keep me on the right path. Thanks in advance!!!

Hi & welcome!! Ill try to answer your questions & ill post links for you to read- ask any questions you may have!

In respect to your fish-in tank, you will need to do some more water changes asap. An amm reading of 3ppm is quite high. You will need to get this down to .25ppm or lower. I would also recommend switching to a water conditioner such as Prime or Amquel Plus that will help to detox toxin levels. Just make sure you are temp-matching the new water to your tank & dosing conditioner to the size of your tank.

For testing your tap water, you can do the amm, nitrite & nitrate tests immediately. The ph test needs to sit atleast overnight (up to 24hrs) with an airstone/bubbler- this will give you your actual ph. Hope this helps!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Thanks. I think I screwed up. My fish in cycle I keep below .50 ppm ammo. how often can I change water? Some days I do it twice others it seems like I only need to do it once. The fish less tank is around 3ppm. I have read both those links and a few others all have helped tremendously.

Thanks- I misread your post & thought your fish-in tank was 3! Thats a relief!! Ok- you can do a 50-70% water change & drop your ammonia from .50 down to .25 or less. Once a day is fine as long as you are monitoring your water. If you are in doubt about doing a water change, do one anyway. You can safely do back-to-back water changes if your toxin levels spike high & you need to get them down to a safe level. :)

So I tested my tap water again for everything but pH. my reason for doing this is that I read to shake nitrate bottles (#2) really good. When I tested my tanks this morning I found right around 5.0ppm in both tanks and had never had this. so i expected that if i retested my tap i would have the same results..... And I did. may have been a little higher hard to tell. Will check pH tomorrow

So my tap water pH after sitting is 8.4 will this have any effect on cycling? I also bought "prime" and did a water change on my fish in tank and just added a dose to my fish less tank. I am being patient with this cycling thing but the kids would love more fish!

Good job! Your ph is fine- fish can adapt to most phs as long as they are not extreme (below 6 or above 9) and 8.4 is fine for cycling. As much as your kids would love more fish, you shouldnt add anymore until your fish-in tank is fully cycled. Take your time to do your research on appropriate & compatible species for your tanks & take them to the different lfs's to look at all the different types of fish to see what they may like. Its a great time to learn for everybody!

Another consideration is to add some seeded,cycled media to both of your tanks to speed up the cycles. Perhaps you know someone with an established tank or your lfs is willing to help you out- worth asking! If not, you can consider purchasing 'active' filters from Angelsplus. They have helped quite a few members cycle their tanks. Ill post a link- if you do order some, make sure they are labeled 'active' or you will just be getting a plain, new filter.

Sponge Filters for aquariums

i broke down and ordered a filter from Angelsplus. Im thinking I will put it in the tank with the fish and get that one cycled before dealing with the fishless tank. Sound like a good plan or what do you think?

I lost my Chinese algae eater over night. I think it was stress related to all the water changes. I have a couple other fish that seem odd as well. they all look fine swim eat. they just go and hide. I noticed the other day when the tank light was on they all quit swimming so I left it off yesterday. Good idea? I switched to prime for my water changes. is this a stress reliever? or should i still use my stress coat? I am only adding 1.5ml per water change of the prime is this correct? 15 gal. tank I change 7-8 gallons each time

I am sorry about your fish :( Your fine to leave the light off to reduce stress. The amount of Prime is correct, too. Keep up the good work in the meantime & the active filter should make big difference for you!

I got the filter from Angelsplus today. I poured the water from the bag and squeezed the filter into my HOB filter and then put the entire filter in the tank and hooked up an air line. Can some one explain how this filter works? Best I can tell all it does is blow air into the tune and bubbles come out the top of the tube.

I got the filter from Angelsplus today. I poured the water from the bag and squeezed the filter into my HOB filter and then put the entire filter in the tank and hooked up an air line. Can some one explain how this filter works? Best I can tell all it does is blow air into the tune and bubbles come out the top of the tube.

Yep sounds like you did it right. You attach one end of airline to the air pump then the other end of airline goes into the small hole in the tube that comes out the middle of the filter (you want to push the airline down into the bottom of the tube). Bubbles come up through the tube.

Reactions: jlk
Just wanted to update. Both tanks are now cycled. Thanks jlk and the rest of the forum for all the help. I would recommend the Angelsplus filters to anyone wanting to cycle.

congrats on the cycle! I agree - the angelspuls filter really helped me out too

Back
Top Bottom