New home - new water source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! Just moved into a new home with a well. Tested my water with the API kit. I have 10-20 ppm nitrates and 0.5-1 ppm nitrites. Are those numbers ok for base water? What should I do differently to keep my levels low?

Some fish are more sensitive; a 20ppm read is fine

.......... If nitrate levels are high (above 60 ppm), perform a series of small water changes (no more than 25% per day) until it is lowered to acceptable levels (< 50 ppm). These water changes will also replenish lost carbonate ions (buffers) to help stabilize pH and create a healthy living environment.....
Rethink the Importance of Aquarium Water Changes

Unless you are keeping Discuss or other sensitive breeds, you are fine. I keep my tanks in the 30-40 range due to expense and trouble of using R/O & bottled water and both my tanks and my fish look and act extremely healthy.

Until I joined this forum, I followed the advice that to this day is on the label of Aqueon brand aquariums "25% monthly water changes." My reading when I bought a test kit was over 100 and high phosphate but the fish seemed fine .... I just had problems with bba.

See:my post #4 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/losing-the-bba-battle-358372.html

Here is the Aqueon video which states the 25% per month rule. I find it amazing it is so far off.

Back
Top Bottom