new juvie apisto. cacatuoides!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I just got a juvenile apisto caca (orange flash) and am wondering if I should keep him alone, or maybe with a dither fish to make him feel comfortable and establish his territory?
He's real small, like 1.5 inches.

Thanks,
Steve

you should get more of the same species (they don't all have to be orange flash)- more females than males. a nice Apisto "community" tank is a 40 long. You can often keep a few males and several females there. They are harem polygamists, and you miss out on a lot of behavior by keeping a specimen, a pair, or even one male with a few females.

To be honest I can't get a bigger tank yet, by the time he matures I will most likely be able to get one. I will definitely invest in a 40 when I can though. Thanks for the heads up

Hi Steve, I thought I woud share with you something I learned recently since your going to be saving for a larger tank. Hopefully this will help you out as it did me. Did you know that aquarium's have footprints?
The area at the bottom of a fish aquarium is referred to as the footprint of the tank. The size of the fish tank's footprint is important because it provides the living areas/territories of the fish you keep. Cichlids especially require more livable footprint space to establish their territories in rock work and other aquarium decorations.

You can read more at the following link: Fish Tank Shape

A 40 gallon breeder tank is 36 x 18 x 16 where as a regular 40 gallon long is 48" x 12" x 16".
For myself I can't decide between the 40 gal breeder or a 50 gal long (36 x 18 x 18)!! :)

@ivanmike.
My kribs just hatched from their eggs, my question is, the mom is in there with them, should I keep feeding them the regular food regimine because the mom will take care of telhe babies?

Back
Top Bottom