New Life Spectrum - Which one to choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking into having a tank filled with tetras, rasboras, RCS, Cherry Barbs and snails.

Would NLS Small Fish Formula be good to have? Or would it be better to go with the All Purpose Formula?

I'd want all of the creatures to feed on this and I read the the Small Fish Formula is a floating type of food whereas the All Purpose Formula is sinking.

Anybody have experience with either of these and which one would be best for my situation?

EDIT: I may be wrong on the Small Fish Formula being a floating food, but I'll let someone with experience clarify.

Are you looking to have uneaten left over scrap be what the RCS will scavenge on? If so I'd say go with a sinking formula. Personally I prefer to have sinking food, seeing fish scavenge the bottom and dive bombing after falling food is something I enjoy watching.

Also, Algae Wafers (sink) I feel are a must for shrimp ... IMO.

Yeah that was my intent. To have some food reach the bottom for the bottom dwellers to feed on. I would also be getting sinking wafers. But I wonder if the All Purpose Formula would be too large for little tetra mouths.

Yep that's a tough one. If you're supplementing Algae wafers and such, then the floating stuff'll work fine. A couple here and there are bound to sink which'll be gone quick enough between the fish and shrimp.

Small fish formula +. Not only do they have small mouths but small throats. Fish can and do choke

I use the small fish formula. Most of my fish prefer to feed as the food falls and when it lands, so I soak the food in a spoon of tank water for a few seconds and it sinks right away when I put it into the tank. It works well and the fish go nuts for it.

I use the small fish formula. Most of my fish prefer to feed as the food falls and when it lands, so I soak the food in a spoon of tank water for a few seconds and it sinks right away when I put it into the tank. It works well and the fish go nuts for it.

Small Fish Formula +? Is that different than regular Small Fish Formula? And thanks.

I feed my community tanks on New Life Spectrum H2o flakes with Garlic and they seem to love it, snails, shrimp, and fish all take a go at it.

Back
Top Bottom