new light fixture!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no its good im always willing to learn especially about plants in aquariums and even outdoor plants and luckaly its beginning spring so im starting to plant!!

The actinics are blue bulbs mostly used on SW tanks, as blue penetrates water better. But as for plants, I agree with what Wizzard said about them.

ya i just finished hanging my fixture on the shelf above and the shelf is pretty strong, its sitting on 4 brackets in the wall on studs so its good, and its a fixture for the ceiling so its open on the bottom and two sides so i put white tape on the coverng of the sides and silver tape on the inside under the bulbs for reflection purposes so i get more out of the bulbs and this weekend im going to get a piece of glass to cover the tank for insurance

total cost for whole hood about 34$ ,which bulbs, for a 24 inch dual light fixture!! i think thats pretty cheap

wizzard wouldn't RED plants mean that RED light is reflected and NOT absorbed?

if that is so, wouldn't LESS red in the light mean More red being used by the plant. ?

sherry said:
wizzard wouldn't RED plants mean that RED light is reflected and NOT absorbed?

if that is so, wouldn't LESS red in the light mean More red being used by the plant. ?

LESS red means there is LESS to reflect, therefor less to see.

decreasing the amount of red would theoretically decrease the chance of you ever seeing red.

increasing the red and decreasing the green would again theoretically make the red more "vibrant" since it would be the dominant reflective pigment in the plant leaf with respect to the light source.

but for absorption, clearly the red plants require stronger blues, oranges and yellows :) there is some great reads on the net about photosynthesis and the photosynthetic curve.

Chlorophyll naturally reflects greens, however just at the side bands of green there is more absorption. (peaks in blue and reds)

Back
Top Bottom