New Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys just wanted your opinion on this.

For various reasons I am converting my lighting system back to T5. I had some issues with a Halide bulb popping while I was away and thankfully nothing suffered but if I were to stay away longer I think an issue would have arose.

I used to use the Current Nova with 4 54 watt bulbs when I had a 75 gallon tank and things went just fine. I kept clams, various SPS and LPS corals under it with no problems. When I upgraded my tank to the 90 gallon I got 2 150 watt Halide clamp on fixtures and a 28 watt T5 aqua light. That gives a total wattage of 328 watts and that has been working fine.

The fixture that should be arriving today is the Current USA Nova 8x54 watt T5 unit, a total of 432 watts. While I know the T5 lighting isn't as strong as Halide that is still a 104 watt jump from where the tank is at right now. Do you think I should adjust the tank slowly to the new lighting system or just let it rip as I normally would.

Typically I run the actinic lights from 7:40 a.m. to 8:40 p.m. and the whites from about 9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

My thinking is that while the wpg are more on the T5`s , that the intensity will be less. That being said I dont see why you cant just let er rip because there will be a small drop in intensity. I`m not a lighting expert as I `ve only had VHO`s in my 10 yrs so if my thinking is wrong then let me know.

I agree. I don't see why you couldn't just turn them on and let things go. The corals are already adapted to high intensity lighting, it's not like most light acclimation issues where they are going from something like PC's to T5's.

Btw, I love my Nova Extreme fixture, very good investment.

I have to agree Lindsey, they are really nice fixtures. The LED lights are sweet as well, they put out enough shimmering light that it's a blast at night to sit and watch your tank.

Back
Top Bottom