New lights.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to purchase new lights for my 75 gallon tank. I do not want to run co2 and have to use a bunch of frets. I also want my fish to pop as well as my low light plants to thrive if that is possible. I am thinking of getting this light. What do YALL think? Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 82
Tank Lighting

Hello mom...

If you keep to the dark green aquarium plants, you don't need expensive lighting, unless you want it. You don't need added fertilizers either, just what the fish produce. I have larger tanks similar to your 75 and use a standard shop light and T8 bulbs from the local hardware store and this fine for low light plants. The cost for the fixture and two bulbs is roughly $30.00.

You can spend 3 or 4 times more on lighting, but the difference isn't worth the extra cost.

B

Thanks BBradbury I really want to go with the T5 lights plus the fixture this tank is in my living room.

The HO in the name of the bulbs means High Output. This fixture might be more light than you need?

If you have too much light without adding Carbon and Ferts, you'll grow an algae farm.

Others know more about lighting big tanks. Yes, you can get something much more attractive than a shop light !

Here is one basic guide. http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/planted-aquarium/low-tech-planted-tank-guide/#lighting

The newer LED fixtures are getting really nice. Some are $$. Like Kessils.
But most are much cheaper than the high light set ups.

You may still want to add at least some basic fertilizers. You don't have to go crazy , it will help your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I was thinking of changing one of the bulbs to an antic so that it makes the fish pop a bit. That would put me just under two watts per gallon right..

Here are some pics of my current set up. Or a video if I can get it to post. My lights should be here in a few days. Thanks for the in put I am sure I will have many more questions.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 72
Got my new lights in today. I put them on the tank even though I am missing the legs, they forgot to send them,but are putting them in the mail for me today. I really like it, made things a lot brighter. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 64
I bet within a month you will have DIY co2 and root tabs in there and you won't ever look back ;-) 3 t5HO bulbs let you grow almost any plants you could ever want in there!

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

Back
Top Bottom