New member here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidspoof

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI everyone!

My name is Cat. I am the proud mom of three goldfish. I have a common goldfish who only has one eye (he was a feeder fish rescue several months ago), a comet, and a shubunkin. As far as I know, the latter two are females and the little common is too small for me to know the gender...the other females are at the right size for sexual maturity and still no tuburcles! All three fish live in a 30 gallon tank and will remain there until they get a little bigger.

I am a dolphin trainer by trade and have been in the marine animal field for the last seven years. I recently got into fish, and adore goldfish.

The reason I joined this forum was because my comet (her name is Atlantis). While I've had my fair share of common aquarium issues, Atlantis threw me for a scary loop when she suddenly started resting at the bottom with all fins clamped. She had small, dark masses deep I. Her muscle tissue and it appeared as though they were poking through the scales in some places. I looked everywhere for a solution, but let's face it; goldfish are not high on the list of serious aquarist hobbyists....so I couldn't find ANY relevant information to save my little lady's life.

After speaking with an aquarist at the aquarium I work at, I decided to treat the water with praziquantel, due to my suspicion a parasitic infection was the likely culprit. After a full course of treatment, Atlantis pooped out THREE massive worms, and the small masses in her skin? They were the larvae of the adult worms living in her gut. After the first praziquantel dose, the larvae began exiting via the skin. It was a bloody mess and she seemed like she was in a lot of pain. But she pulled through with some missing scales, and I think the worms stunted her growth.

I want to learn from everyone on here, and I want to help those who care about their individual fish but can't find anything to help them when they have a mysterious ailment. Look forward to being part of this forum and meeting everyone!

Welcome Cat. Thanks for posting your story. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and seeing what symptoms other members run into and how they treat them really helps us identify things that may happen in our tanks. Glad you could save her.

Welcome!!!! Just for your information, if you do have 2 females, you will not see breeding tuberucles. Only males get breeding tuberucles (stars). I am glad your fish pulled through & hope you have plans to upgrade their home soon! Do not hesitate to ask questions!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom