New Member: One Hobby at a Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davidlarrimore

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

My name is David Larrimore, and I host a blog called One Hobby at a Time where every month I attempt a new hobby. This month I have chosen Fishkeeping and have started a 20g tropical freshwater aquarium.

I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or input while I struggle through my first aquarium.

feel free to visit the blog to find more information on how the tank is doing.

I would recommend that you cycle the tank first, and do a different hobby in the meantime. Your tank will not be ready for fish for a while if it was freshly started.
There'd is a guide in the sticky section of freshwater tanks in the getting started section by Eco23. I highly recommend that you read it before giving it a go and best of luck!

It's true I have started fishless cycling. My next option to help the process is to do a lot of PWC, get something already seeded from my neighbor, or give the fish back until the tank is ready.

You are fine keeping the fish if you really want to. Some people will argue with me on that, but it is purely IMO. Some people also tend to forget that fishless is not the only way to cycle a tank, so don't ever let them make you think that. Just keep testing the water, and be ready to do a water change if you have readable ammonia or nitrites. Also to help keep the ammonia down, you can reduce feeding to every other day. Avoid frozen and freeze-dried foods as well.

thominil said:
You are fine keeping the fish if you really want to. Some people will argue with me on that, but it is purely IMO. Some people also tend to forget that fishless is not the only way to cycle a tank, so don't ever let them make you think that. Just keep testing the water, and be ready to do a water change if you have readable ammonia or nitrites. Also to help keep the ammonia down, you can reduce feeding to every other day. Avoid frozen and freeze-dried foods as well.

+1to all of that. There is also a fish-in cycling guide in the same section hat I mentioned earlier. And seeded media from your neighbor will DEFINITELY help!

Davidlarrimore said:
Hello All,

My name is David Larrimore, and I host a blog called One Hobby at a Time where every month I attempt a new hobby. This month I have chosen Fishkeeping and have started a 20g tropical freshwater aquarium.

I would really appreciate any help, suggestions, or input while I struggle through my first aquarium.

feel free to visit the blog to find more information on how the tank is doing.

Hi and welcome. I understand what you're doing. But I have a question for you. What happens to the tank and fish once the month is over? Its not like roller skating. You can't just hang a tank and FISH in a closet.

Edit: you keep doing the hobby once the month is up, correct? Nice blog. If you have questions just ask.

Last edited:
Deckape said:
Hi and welcome. I understand what you're doing. But I have a question for you. What happens to the tank and fish once the month is over? Its not like roller skating. You can't just hang a tank and FISH in a closet.

Edit: you keep doing the hobby once the month is up, correct? Nice blog. If you have questions just ask.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what is going to happen, but I promise you the fish will have a home. The fish have all come from my neighbors established 55g gallon tank, so if this hobby truly ends after this month, they will merely be returning home.

I started the blog because I am fascinated with learning new things and I wanted to raise awareness of hobbies that people may not have thought about starting or were to afraid to. I really appreciate yours and all the aquariumadvice.com members advice. There seem to be a lot of really friendly, outgoing, and passionate aquarist s and fishkeepers out there.

Back
Top Bottom