New nano! Help stock it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yep just picked up a very nice acrylic 180 view 3.5g tank with LED lights and a 40gph filter for 10$. I wasn't planning on another tank any time soon but I could not pass that deal up haha. Unfortunately the tank has a large crack in it so I'll have to trade the tank in tomorrow. I should have learned by now to check the box before I buy. :rolleyes: Still a great deal, no regrets haha

The dimensions are 11.25" x 8.75" x 12.5" so it's actually a pretty nice size and I'm sure it will look great planted.
I'm not sure what to do with this tank yet! I love nanos and I know I have some options so WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

That's fairly simple to me: SHRIMP!!! I love those little creatures:). So cute and fun to watch!!!!

AquaKai said:
That's fairly simple to me: SHRIMP!!! I love those little creatures:). So cute and fun to watch!!!!

+1!

Shrimp are so cool to watch, and they always make me think of finding nemo (I know diff type but it's drilled into me lol)

With less than a foot of horizontal swimming room, there are not many nano fish I personally would suggest for that tank honestly. It does sound like a good deal though. It would be a perfect shrimp tank! There are some amazing little dwarf shrimp out there. They are active and colorful. :)
Other than shrimp, the only thing that would MAYBE be an option that pops to mind would be an Endler's livebearer or 2. Perhaps a couple of chili rasbora, but I am not positive about that. :)

There are definitely going to be shrimp in the tank! Not sure how many/what kinds though.
I was thinking if I do fish spotted rasboras might be a good option. They're even smaller than chilis.
Or some of the more exotic betta fish. Betta rutilans maybe. They top out at about an inch.

One of those would be very cool too(the betta)! I would suggest either some type of the Neocaridina shrimp or the tiger shrimp. Those ones are fairly easy to take care of!

The spotted rasbora are sooooo cute. I have no experience with them, but they should do well IMO as long as the tank is well planted. IME, most of those tiny fish are pretty shy and do well in a planted tank.
As for the shrimp, just be careful if you want 2 varieties that they can't interbreed. :) Then you just get dull brown shrimp instead of the bright colored parents you started with. :)

I would do a pair of cambarellus shufeldtii and 6 micro rasbora like brigittae, maculatus, merah, or micros. :)

Thanks for the tip Erin!
Are there any other cray/micro crab options that could work?

Honestly nano fish of that size shouldn't be in anything smaller than five gallons; sorry to be the devil's advocate here. I've got a small school of micro rasboras (naevus), and they're very similar to chilis in size. They like to zoom around and are quite active - 3.5 gallons would just be too small. Shrimps would really be the only way to go.

Cambarellus puer would work as well, they are very similar to shufeldtii but harder to find. I wouldn't do CPO's though..I think they'd get a bit too big for the tank. Thai micro crabs would work, but again they are hard to find. I must say I started with 12 of them and within a short time went down to 1, so not sure just how hardy those things are. ;)

Back
Top Bottom