New pc bulbs.... new sand growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all. I got my new pc bulbs installed and my brown growth disappeared but now, i have a different color growing... any ideas?

ForumRunner_20120118_134745.jpg

Looks like cyano bacteria ( red algae ) starting to form. Stuff can be a pain in the butt. Get as much out as you can a do a water change. Good luck.

Chad36 said:
Looks like cyano bacteria ( red algae ) starting to form. Stuff can be a pain in the butt. Get as much out as you can a do a water change. Good luck.

How do i get it out? Can i just run my net through the sand? Or do i need to dredge the bottom and remove the sand?

It would also be wise to use a phosphate remover. Its appearing because your nitrate or phosphate is too high. Don't think anybody goes reef an doesnt end up battling this beast at some point.

Chad36 said:
It would also be wise to use a phosphate remover. Its appearing because your nitrate or phosphate is too high. Don't think anybody goes reef an doesnt end up battling this beast at some point.

Ok. How do i remove what i have?

I used to blow it off with a turkey baster and catch it with a net. You may try removing sand and rinsing and replacing. Havent personally done that but it could work. Get on it now one way or the other because cyano can quickly become widespread an it makes you not even want to look at your tank. Like i said get as much out an do two water changes in a week. Add phosphate remover as well.

Is that the only spot its in? It doesnt look like you could blow it with a turkey baster yet now that i looked again. As it grows it becomes almost carpet like an it comes up in sheets at that point. I would probably just scoop it out with a net and then do the wc's.

Chad36 said:
Is that the only spot its in? It doesnt look like you could blow it with a turkey baster yet now that i looked again. As it grows it becomes almost carpet like an it comes up in sheets at that point. I would probably just scoop it out with a net and then do the wc's.

Thats the only place. Thanks for the tips!!!

Back
Top Bottom