New Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Looking for help. Recommendations requested for good colorful and beginner-worthy plants for a 40 breeder. Suggestions for a good light that won't break the bank is also needed

I'm not sure if they make shop lights that small. But home depot has a diamond plate shop light with awesome reflection for $34.
Throw some 6500 k lights in it and you're under $50.
Plants:
Amazon sword
Flame sword ( my new fav in my tank)
Purple cabomba
Jungle val
Moss (xmas or flame if you can find it)
Crypts

Quite a bit. The main plant off my pot has already put off 5 runners before I cut it off. :) it's only a month old.

Jungle val is the same planting time and has put offa bunch of new leaves plus runners galore.

My dwarf sag is probably 3-4 tall. The jungle val will grow super long. But just trim to the height you want. Easy peasy with those guys.

With good lighting you can grow a variety of plants. Water sprite, wisteria, swords, crypts, Hydro's, bacopa, val's, dwarf sag, and ambulia are all easy beginner plants. If you have driftwood you can attach anubia, java fern (both regular or wendilov) and mosses such as java moss.

With good lighting you can grow a variety of plants. Water sprite, wisteria, swords, crypts, Hydro's, bacopa, val's, dwarf sag, and ambulia are all easy beginner plants. If you have driftwood you can attach anubia, java fern (both regular or wendilov) and mosses such as java moss.

What kind of lighting would you recommend? I don't want to skimp, but I don't want to break the bank, either.

Look into some T5HO 2 bulb fixtures they come in different price ranges but you should read customer reviews because some have poor reflectors and aren't worth buying.

Rivercats said:
Look into some T5HO 2 bulb fixtures they come in different price ranges but you should read customer reviews because some have poor reflectors and aren't worth buying.

You can get freshwater T5HO fixtures for about $150. I would just call your LFS and check online comparatively

Back
Top Bottom