New plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've just got some new plants for my tank and had a reshuffle :)
Can anyone tell me what the plant on the far left at the front is? I'm fairly sure I picked all aquatic plants, but I just want to know what that one is :)

Attachments

• image-243064470.jpg
    image-243064470.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 116
Oh no! :( I've just been trying to research what this plant is, and I think it might be alternanthera ficoidea. A NON-aquatic plant :( please tell me it's not! I really thought I'd got true aquatic plants this time!

Far left looks like ludwigia. Typically for plant IDs I like a close up picture of the plant alone.......makes life a lot easier.

Is this any better? Sorry, iPhones camera is awful!
Do you know what the difference between hornwort and cabomba is? I'm not sure which one I've got at the back.

Attachments

• image-3128992626.jpg
    image-3128992626.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 93
Looks more like cambomba to me. Horn wort is really then and scraggly looking.

That doesn't look aquatic I'm afraid it looks like a terrestrial judging by the leaf thickness and wax coat...

:( thank you. I thought I'd been so careful. Grr! It's so frustrating that I can't just buy an aquatic plant and be sure that it is actually an aquatic plant!
I work in a garden centre, so I know my plants, but aquatic plants are a whole new field to me.
Is there a general way of telling if it's aquatic or not? Or is it just a case of learning about the particular plants?

The easiest way to tell... aquatic plants usually don't have stiff or woody stems. The leaves will also be very soft and almost wax free (anubias being the exception). Have you visited PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource ? It has a pretty good list of what is and what is not aquatic.

I had an umbrella fern before, which has stiff stems, so I picke a plant that doesn't have woody stiff stems, but it wasn't til I put it in my aquarium that I noticed how thick it felt :( my lfs has a really limited range of plants so I wanted something shorter for nearer the front of my tank. This was shorter :) maybe I'd better try ordering online from now on . Most people won't deliver here though because we are on an island :(

anton srsen said:
What's the purple thing ? Is it alive

No, it's a rubbery plastic thing. We got it when we first got the tank because we didn't want live plants ;)
After I put the plants in, my fiancé asked me why I hadn't put it back in because he really likes it. So purple thing has to stay :/

Fishies86 said:
No, it's a rubbery plastic thing. We got it when we first got the tank because we didn't want live plants ;)
After I put the plants in, my fiancé asked me why I hadn't put it back in because he really likes it. So purple thing has to stay :/

I kinda like it for some reason

Back
Top Bottom