New Rasboras sideways on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmJ026

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I recently finished fishless cycling (after about 5 weeks) my 15 gallon tank this week and added 8 harlequin rasboras and 3 adf on Saturday. Monday when I got home from work one rasbora was dead and stuck to the filter intake but the rest were fine. Later on I found another fish on the bottom flopping around sideways and gulping. Now I have another fish floating around the bottom half trying to swim.

Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are 5ppm, and ph is 7.2.
I have a biowheel 150 and keep the temp at 75 degrees. Its also planted with a few plants.

I live 30 min from the fish store and as soon as I got home I put the bags in the water and untied the fish bag because it seemed like it lost some of its air. I then let them set for 15 minutes and then added some tank water every 5 minutes for a little while, transferring only the fish and not the water into the tank.

I've been feeding them frozen bloodworms once a day and they eat them fine. The fish in general seem mellower are not swimming as rapidly as they were the first day (they kept getting in the current and shooting themselves around). Now they're just hanging out in the middle of the tank.

Is there anything I can do to help the fish on the bottom? I'm nervous to leave the filter on when I'm not around because if the poor swimmers get too close I'm afraid they'll get stuck.

Thanks!

This has happened to me before. If you have recently done a water change and didnt use enough dechloronizer with the new water. Might also just be a Eco thing. You added 11 organisms in a short time, that van kind of throw your tank out of whack for a while. Just my thoughts.

I added a bit extra water conditioner earlier just in case. The one slow fish keeps swimming up to the very top like it's not getting enough air. I have the filter splashing in the tank and the plants but I don't have an aerator or anything. I wonder if that would help.

I'm not saying it will die, but it will most likely not live. Sorry:(

I would advise plenty of water changes. I had a Cory looking on his last legs laying on his side being pushed around, a large water change later and he was a different fish. Worth a try!

Back
Top Bottom