New Reef Builder Needs Advice -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkhamDave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to aquariums but have always wanted to have one. I am building a 90 gallon tank that I want to be a reef. I have it running now with RO water, have a 90 litre pail ready to recieve 130 lb's of Fiji rock this week and while I am waiting for the rock to cycle, want to look at ways of building great looking reefs. I have read about nylon rods and bolts but haven't found any examples.
How do others do this, are there any warnings or suggestions?

MarkhamDave

Welcome to AA btw!

There are a lot of options in building your rockwork. Acrylic rods, PVC pipe, just about anything that is non metal and wont leach anything into the system can be used to construct your reef.

You can bore holes in the rock and stack them onto PVC pipe and fasten them with zip-ties. The sky is the limit. The best thing to do is get your rock first and see what you have to work with and go from there. I'll look through my links and see if I can find the page where a guy does a step by step build of his rock. Great images and a lot of good tips.

I bought a bunch of ties and nylon rods. You just break the rock (if needed) and drill with a morter bit. I have also used zip-tie...make sure you get the ones that don't have metal in the fastener.
James may be along to help out as I know he uses the rods.....

Back
Top Bottom