New reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a newbie to reef tanks and have finally moved forward with getting it ready.
It's a custom made 65" high 27" diameter acrylic cylinder that has an artificial reef form that goes from top to bottom of cylinder. I want to put in some critter and hopefully some live rock. It sits on top of my bar, so there is only about 2 feet of space from top of tank to ceiling. A couple of initial questions:

1)Filled the tank half way with water and there are a couple of scuff marks on the inside of the cylinder I'd like to try and get rid of. Because my above access is tight, not sure how I can get to the scuffs to clear. Do they sell anything magentic that can slide down or something?

2) What is the best thing to put on the bottom of the tank. Gravel, sand? Any recommednations on brands or colors?

Thanks!

that's not a good idea for a reef tank.
you are going to have a hard time lighting it.
i would just keep it to fish and inverts.

smaller grained sand would be my choice for the bottom. it's personal preference really, but the smaller grans require less maintenance.

- i believe once it's full of water you won't see the scuffs. they sell acrylic repair kits, but i never had any luck with them. i ended up making it worse.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom