New sand substrate...fuzzy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up a new tank and used black Caribsea Tahitian moon sand. I didn't have any spare filter media, so I'm cycling the long way and haven't added fish yet. There sort of lines on top of the sand that look fuzzy like mold or something. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm not sure if I can get a picture of it, but if you think it will help then I can try. Just let me know please :)

Forgot to mention that I'm cycling with food. Could it be the food causing the fuzz/fungus looking stuff?

Any pictures? I added an algae wafer during my fishless cycle and a day or so later noticed some fuzzy stuff on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's fungi from the rotting food and is what is starting your cycling process. Also encourages bacteria growth. It's a hit or miss method though since you don't know how much ammonia is being created. Means more montoring of ammonia and nitrite levels (via your testing kit) so you can guage where you are in the cycling process.

Cycling with Ammonia or seeded material would seem to be far easier methods to use.

Back
Top Bottom