New Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingMaddog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm getting a 29 gallon setup and wanted to know if I should use my Bio-Wheel 100 in addition to the new filter to cycle it. I will be taking the filter from my existing 10 gallon and switching that filter to my backup. After the cycle could I just leave it on the tank and run both filters on it? One more thing.... Will 40lbs of black sand be enough for this size tank?

Any takers on advice? I am thinking of just leaving the Bio-Wheel 100 set up to go with the 200 that the kit came with. That will give me 300gph. Is there a such thing as over filtering?

Hi! Well first offThere is no such thing as over filtering. And yes I would use your bio wheel 100 on the 29 along with any other filter you might wanna add on. And yes 40 pounds is more than enough for a 29 gallon. You want about a pound for each gallon of water you have
But you can always use more if you want.

With all these knowledgeable people on this forum someone has to have some pointers. Isn't a 100 watt heater good enough for a 29 gallon tank?

The kit came with a 200 watt heater but it has no temp setting, just high and low. I'm picking up a Visi-Therm heater and wanted to know if I could go with a 100 watt. 100 watt is rated for up to 29 gallons. Would there be less strain on the heater if I stick with the 200 watt?

The kit came with a 200 watt heater but it has no temp setting, just high and low. I'm picking up a Visi-Therm heater and wanted to know if I could go with a 100 watt. 100 watt is rated for up to 29 gallons. Would there be less strain on the heater if I stick with the 200 watt?

It really depends on how much you need to heat above room temp

I will be keeping Guppies, Corys, and Otos. Won't I need water temp to be at 78F? I keep my house around 73F.

78 would be ideal and 100 will work fine but it won't hurt to go bigger if you look on Amazon you can get aqueon heaters that are all basically the same price 100 Watts and up all around 20$ and they have adjustable thermostats

To answer your other question, using purigen and carbon together does no harm. In fact you can actually use purigen instead of carbon. It's known to last longer and it's rechargable (money saver!). I personally will run both at times.

Back
Top Bottom