New Snail- :) or :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i was watching my tank today and i noticed my tiger nerite snail halfway out of the water. i thought it was odd, mostly cuz hes never ever on the glass. anyway, i pushed him down below the water line and he moved about 3 in down the glass and i thought nothing of it. in 15 minutes or so, he was chomping my DW and it was all normal. then i saw a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail. yes, i know its a snail and not just a trick of the light. hes the only one i could see so far, is a tiger nerite, and is looking healthy. im only wondering, how many more could be coming? my tank is FW and ive heard they only breed in SW. it was only one snail until now. any ideas or thoughts? i dont want to be overrun with snails.

New Snail- :) or :( ?

It may depend on how you feel about Pond snails (physa acuta).

"a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail" . Uh Oh. In my experience, Pond snails, physa acuta, are the relative Speed Demons of the snail world, covering 3 - 4 body-lengths per second.

So i was watching my tank today and i noticed my tiger nerite snail halfway out of the water. i thought it was odd, mostly cuz hes never ever on the glass. anyway, i pushed him down below the water line and he moved about 3 in down the glass and i thought nothing of it. in 15 minutes or so, he was chomping my DW and it was all normal. then i saw a 3 mm snail scooting over the gravel faster than the fully grown snail. yes, i know its a snail and not just a trick of the light. hes the only one i could see so far, is a tiger nerite, and is looking healthy. im only wondering, how many more could be coming? my tank is FW and ive heard they only breed in SW. it was only one snail until now. any ideas or thoughts? i dont want to be overrun with snails.
Nerites breed in BW. It's most likely a pond snail or ramshorn that hitchhiked in somehow.

Nerites breed in BW. It's m^ost likely a pond snail or ramshorn that hitchhiked in somehow.

2nd this they do bred in brackish water and they only need brackish between 1.005 and 1.010 my tap water comes out at 1.008. My point is it doesn't take alot of salt to be in their range so if you add any salt or if your tap water is like mine you could have brackish water and not know it

Hope this helps

i added those fish gel tubes a day after i found the snail. the baby looks like a tiger nerite, save that he has a darker shell. i added aquarium salt a couple days ago for a small case of ick...

sad face.... what should i do? im still not sure if it even is bad. i cant even find the thing, flitting through the plants. im still fairly certain its a nerite!

sad face.... what should i do? im still not sure if it even is bad. i cant even find the thing, flitting through the plants. im still fairly certain its a nerite!
Why do you think its a nerite? Shell shape? Color? You said it looked like a zebra nerite, but darker.

shell shape is exactly the same, have purchased 2 nerites, pattern is practically the same, save that its darker and blotchy...

shell shape is exactly the same, have purchased 2 nerites, pattern is practically the same, save that its darker and blotchy...
Ok, well, you will know more about it when it see it again. Those tiny babies sure can be hard to find. Once, I got a tiny baby nerite that was like 1-2mm. It looked dead on exactly like an adult nerite, not a darker blocthy pattern.
Pond and bladder snails have the same basic shell shape. I honestly think you just have a snail hitch hiker, not a nerite baby. But, you will know more when you see it again. Good luck.

hahaha.. not laughing at the OP but laughing because I have the same issue

I've never experienced nerite reproduction with anything but marine salt, and even then I've had to get the SG up there a ways more than yours probably is for ich treament, so I really think it's unlikely. But keep us posted! ;)

well i got some bad news... my genius little brother took it out of the tank i made for it (id gotten it out recently) and crushed it like an m&m.

hehe I'm sure it was a pest snail so you're prob better off anyway ;)

I have 2 Nerite snails, have become more of a headache....since I dont have them in BW...they lay eggs on EVERYTHING, even on my beautiful Orange Rocksnail. Spent one day scraping snail eggs off, the filter, thermometer, glass, decorations....so you better off without it, then I'd rather have a pond snail!
I put it in my main tank...not even my Assassin snails are bothering taking them out lol

Back
Top Bottom