New species help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xlarronlx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to add a new type of fish into my community tank... something colourful or a school, somewhere along them lines as this will be last type of fish i will be adding as i will be close to being fully stocked.

Currently i have:

5 x Golden Barbs
7 x neon tetra
2 x bristlenose plec
3 x platy
6 x guppy
3 x endler livebearer

I also have a 4inch suckerfish maybe a plecostomus (previous owner)

I am also looking at getting around 8 cardinal tetra unless advised not to?

Any ideas on what will go well?

dalmation molly is all that has come to my mind.

Thanks for all your advice in advance,
Arron.

Without knowing tank size, it's impossible to advise properly. Bu given the space, there's no reason you can't have cardinals with neons if you like. But bear in mind they are very similar in appearance.

Neons have the blue stripe plus a red stripe about half the length of the body, Cardinals have the same blue stripe, but the red runs the full length of the body. They're also larger than Neons when grown.

The suckerfish may be a Plecostomus of some sort. If so, it's likely going to be very messy [ lots of poop ], and most of them grow to be very, very large. Might want to find it another home, possibly. They are not good algae eaters, despite their reputation for algae control.

Your profile says its a 180 liter tank. So 47 gallons. You really need to find out what kind of "sucker" that is. If it is a common Pleco you should find it a new home, it will benefit your tank and the fish. They can grow over a foot long and need 100g minimum. It will be stunned and die young, and will be to large of a bioload for your tank. So assuming that you DONT have the common Pleco in the tank than you have tons of options. I would stick with the neons and not do any cardinals. Maybe 3 more neons, 8 panda cories, and a dwarf gourami. Or 10 Kuhli loaches and 2 Bolivian or German rams. Or 6 Forcasta Rainbows, and 6 pepper cory cats. Or 1 bosemani rainbow, 1 balloon ram, and 4 striatia botia.

Thankyou ever so much on listing such compatibility's. I will take your advice into consideration but will also love some more from other members. Thanks, Arron.

I think your barbs, and your BN plecos/sucker fish will be the limiting factors, because barbs can be aggressive and harass other fish, and plecos are pooping machines that have a huge bioload in comparison to their body size. Check out aquadvisor.com to see what your current stocking level is, and what it would be if you added the tetras you would like. I am doubtful that with those 3 possible plecos you would be able to add much else.

Golden and rosy barbs stay small(3") and tend to be much more peaceful then tiger or green barbs.

If you like barbs, maybe Cherry Barbs ? Males are a glorious brilliant red all over, with darker side stripes, females have the same stripes but less bright. But not colourless, by any means, they're a darkish orange, and on their own quite attractive. VERY peaceful, no fin nipping or bullying behavior. Truly lovely little fish, mature size about 2 inches or so.

I think your barbs, and your BN plecos/sucker fish will be the limiting factors, because barbs can be aggressive and harass other fish, and plecos are pooping machines that have a huge bioload in comparison to their body size. Check out aquadvisor.com to see what your current stocking level is, and what it would be if you added the tetras you would like. I am doubtful that with those 3 possible plecos you would be able to add much else.

I already use AQ advisor and my current stock level is 70% so I still have plenty or room for more. I will be removing the unknown suck fish I think. Its currently 4inch long.

Attachments

• 1388482373445.jpg
    1388482373445.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom